Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long stroke VS. short stroke gas piston system?

Feedback Score

Long stroke VS. short stroke gas piston system?

What is the difference between the long and short piston system?
    I believe the AK uses a long stroke system! And i've read and heard about how reliable the AK is as in durability. So, why wouldn't some of these company that make gas piston AR's use the long stroke system instead of short stroke system?[?]

Feedback Score
    How much stroke the bolt carrier needs to move to unlock the lugs is part of the engineer's concern. Once the lugs are unlocked, the case is driving the bolt carrier group back due to residual gas pressure in the bore.

You don't just get to pick one over the other because somebody else designed a different firearm with it. So long stroke or short stroke isn't so much a choice just because the AK uses it.

A lot of AK durability has to do with the goof proof magazine and simple design, not because it has one type of gas action vs. another. There are plenty of good designs out there that use either, the total execution is what counts.

Gas piston AR's are a custom modification to the operating system. It's not a fact they run more reliably, nor is it a fact that the DI system is less reliable when properly maintained. In fact, a good reading on the forums will show a lot of new AK owners with serious stoppages and failure to feed problems. Any firearm can have reliability issues - what the AK is known for is durability, a different concept. It means it can take a higher level of mistreatment and still function - not that it has a better ability to feed bad ammo or eat dirt. What is interesting is that a number of photos are starting to surface showing old M16's in use in Vietnam- bad handguards, no anodizing, and still shooting.

The AK and M16 didn't start out from the gate very evenly, but the race is still on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    So, why wouldn't some of these company that make gas piston AR's use the long stroke system instead of short stroke system?[?]
    they do: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...?idCategory=11

Feedback Score
    The short stroke system has less reciprocating mass, that is centered therefore there is possibly less wear on the buffer and the rear of the bolt, due to less force being exposed to it.

Theoretically it's also supposed to me marginally more accurate than a long stroke due to it being centered.

I prefer the short stroke system.

If I'm wrong I shall eat crow. My only experience with the long stroke system is the AK and FAL systems.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I've heard of this company before. Is there any reason why they would choose a long stroke over short?

Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    I've heard of this company before. Is there any reason why they would choose a long stroke over short?
    They make a short stroke piston as well. LINK
    Last edited by koz; 04-26-10 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    The short stroke system has less reciprocating mass, that is centered therefore there is possibly less wear on the buffer and the rear of the bolt, due to less force being exposed to it.

Theoretically it's also supposed to me marginally more accurate than a long stroke due to it being centered.

I prefer the short stroke system.

If I'm wrong I shall eat crow. My only experience with the long stroke system is the AK and FAL systems.

The FN-FAL is a short stroke ,tilting bolt automatic rifle SKS is a similar style system.
    Your wrong the FAL is a short stroke system.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 04-26-10 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Just FYI, there is another company that produces a long stroke gas piston kit., TNW Firearms (Not familiar w/them).

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    If I am not mistaken, the terminology has to do with the distance the piston travels.

A long stroke piston travels the length (or more) of the cartridge.

A sort stroke piston travels less than the length of the cartridge and usually hits/pushes etc some intermediary component that then moves.

The AK piston being directly linked to the bolt carrier travels the full length of said carriers travel.

The piston in say a M1A only travels a small distance, and imparts its energy to an intermediary op rod that then moves the bolt.

The short stroke is vastly more common than the long stroke from what I have seen.

As to the durability/reliability legend of the AK. It is the entire system that counts, not just the method of reciprocating the action. I have not seen any testing to support this but I hypothesize that AK's being fed out of extremely poorly manufactured magazines would not live up to the AK legend.

Feedback Score
    Upon re-evaluation, I shall eat crow. The FAL is short stroke.

Which may or may not be why it's so accurate, compared to long stroke guns I've shot.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast