Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QUIETEST Muzzle Break/Comp?

Feedback Score

QUIETEST Muzzle Break/Comp?

I shoot a 16" carbine in competition (3-Gun), running a Miculek Comp, which controls the recoil very well at speed, but it is BRUTALLY loud.

I'd also like to take the same gun/lower on hog hunts here in FL.

Hunting requires MUCH less speed than 3-Gun, but does require the ability to hear! I have fired my AR once... and only once... without ear protection in a hunting situation. My ears rang for 18 hrs after that shot...

What is the QUIETEST muzzle device (shy of running a can, which I don't have the paperwork for)? I don't care about flash suppression, recoil control, etc... JUST noise.

Can I swap muzzle devices easily without my primary comp getting loose or chewed up? Should I just get another upper?

Experiences?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are no noise reducing compensators or flash hiders by virtue of the fact that they would be class III muzzle devices. 5.56 is loud. Period. If you need to hear while you shoot the best, and maybe the only option short of buying a suppressor, is active electronic hearing protection.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The LeVang, Noveske KX3, and PWS CQB Comp all redirect the noise forward; they don't ACTUALLY make it more quiet, they just make it so you hear less of it.
    Jake Sebens
    Ares Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    There are no noise reducing compensators or flash hiders by virtue of the fact that they would be class III muzzle devices. 5.56 is loud. Period. If you need to hear while you shoot the best, and maybe the only option short of buying a suppressor, is active electronic hearing protection.
    +1

I would imagine most firearms will be loud when fire w/o hearing protection.

Can you hunt with a can? Assuming you are in states that allows them and hunting with an AR.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    The LeVang seems like the best option, and at $30... not a big risk.

My next order from Midway might have to include one...

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffWard; 10-27-10 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The BattleComp is very comparable to an A2 flash hider in terms of noise. Like any AR, it is still loud, but nothing like other muzzle brakes.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    I shoot a 16" carbine in competition (3-Gun), running a Miculek Comp, which controls the recoil very well at speed, but it is BRUTALLY loud.

I'd also like to take the same gun/lower on hog hunts here in FL.

Hunting requires MUCH less speed than 3-Gun, but does require the ability to hear! I have fired my AR once... and only once... without ear protection in a hunting situation. My ears rang for 18 hrs after that shot...

What is the QUIETEST muzzle device (shy of running a can, which I don't have the paperwork for)? I don't care about flash suppression, recoil control, etc... JUST noise.

Can I swap muzzle devices easily without my primary comp getting loose or chewed up? Should I just get another upper?

Experiences?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    KAC Triple Tap and Battlecomp 1.0

I find the Battlecomp actually a little quieter than the KAC but recoil reduction is a little less.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I can't recommend a flash hider but I can recommend the surefire ear plugs. They're made to reduce sound enough that you can safely shoot and still allow you to hear pretty well. Unlike electronic ear muffs you can still directionalize sounds. An alternative would be he green and yellow earpugs designed for infantrymen but the Surefires are more comfortable. They're not supposed to be disposable but they're cheap enough that you can lose one and not worry about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not the Cav Comp for sure. A dude had that on his gun in a class we took last weekend. That Mo Fo is loud and has a Huge FLASH!!! Awesome!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can't hunt in FL with a can but can kill hogs on private land. I hunt hogs with my sordins on.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-27-10 at 21:17.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast