Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCM SS410 Ionbond VS. Noveske Recon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BCM SS410 Ionbond VS. Noveske Recon

I'm looking to build a RECCE type rifle and can't decide between these two barrels. I'd be looking to get roughly 10,000 rounds from each hopefully maintaining MOA accuracy. So, what do you guys think? Please back up opinions with facts/data etc. whenever possible.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    I'm looking to build a RECCE type rifle and can't decide between these two barrels. I'd be looking to get roughly 10,000 rounds from each hopefully maintaining MOA accuracy. So, what do you guys think? Please back up opinions with facts/data etc. whenever possible.

Thanks in advance.
    If you're wanting that kind of accuracy at 10K rounds I'd highly suggest a BCM hammer forged barrel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Another option might be the Noveske N-4 Recce barrel. I'm still trying to shoot mine out

The only "issue" is that you have to purchase this barrel as part of a complete build, IIRC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Another option might be the Noveske N-4 Recce barrel. I'm still trying to shoot mine out

The only "issue" is that you have to purchase this barrel as part of a complete build, IIRC.

I know. I wish they would just offer the damn barrel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can't you buy the barrel from Noveske's supplier?

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Can't you buy the barrel from Noveske's supplier?

Cameron

Who's their supplier?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as I know FN doesn't offer their barrels to the general public.

Feedback Score

Centurion Barrel ?

Isn't the Centurion midweight barrel more or less equivalent to the Noveske N4 barrel ? That might also work.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to resurrect this thread as opposed to creating a new one. There is good info here that others may be able to use.

I would like to build a new rifle and am leaning towards a precision type 18" stainless barrel. Which 18" barrel is going to more accurate, the BCM SS410 or the Noveske SPR?

Here are some specs that I know of:

Noveske LINK
    $465
    weight 38oz
    10.5" intermediate gas length
    1:7 twist - button rifling - improved polygonal rifling
    5.56 Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber
    416 stainless type
    bead blasted finish - I like this

BCM LINK
    $300
    weight 40oz - found at TOS
    12" rifle gas length
    1:8 twist - Button Rifled
    5.56 NATO Match Chambers (USMC SAM-R Chamber)
    410 stainless type
    shiny finish - I don't like this.

Why is Noveske going with the intermediate gas length over the rifle gas length? Which would perform the best? Which chamber is tighter and better designed for accurate .223 Remington loads? Which rifling type is better?

The problem is that this new rifle will be used for coyote and hunting purposes, which means I'll be carrying and hiking with it in the field all day long. Noveske is releasing an 18" stainless lightweight barrel. All specs other than profile and weight will be identical to the SPR barrel. I found out about the LW barrel HERE.

Now I'm starting to think the extra $165 to save 1/2 pound over the BCM SS410 might be worth it, that is as long as the Noveske stainless barrels are as accurate as the BCM stainless barrels. Also, the Noveske comes with a pinned gas block and a gas tube. The BCM is dimpled for a set screw gas block, but I guess I could always pay a gunsmith to drill and pin a gas block. The $165 saving is quickly disappearing now.

Suggestions??? Opinions???
    Last edited by royta; 12-15-10 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    The 1 in 7" twist is tighter than a 1 in 8" twist. Both are sufficient to stabilize anything you can feed from an AR-15 magazine. The 1 in 8" twist is pretty close to ideal for An AR in .223 Remington (something like 1 in 7.7"), but the 1 in 7" won't hurt anything. Both are found in some of the finest match barrels out there.

I would bet Noveske went with the intermediate gas system in the interest of dwell time. Going from memory, I believe the distance between the gas block and muzzle on an 18" barrel with intermediate gas system is the same (or nearly so) as that on the M4 and M16. I wonder if Noveske's intermediate is the same as KAC's intermediate...

The 416 vs 410 argument for barrel steel's been hashed out here before I think. A search should turn it up, but I think the short version is 410 has a higher sulfur content and is harder (more expensive) to machine but technically better. This is not to say 416 is bad, as evidenced by the quality of Noveske barrels.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast