Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DD Upper: AR15 Lite Rail or Omega X Rail?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

DD Upper: AR15 Lite Rail or Omega X Rail?

Hi All,

I am new to the AR platform and I'm in the process of putting together my first rifle. I just picked up my lower today and I'm trying to figure which way I am going to go with my upper. I plan on ordering a Daniels Defense midlength upper from Smartgunner.com. I'm trying decide between AR15 Lite and Omega X Rail systems. What are the advantages of each? I have to be honest and say they look very similar to my eye. I have handled an Omega X and it seemed extremely light.

The other choice I am stuck on is whether to order with the fixed front sight or go with the low profile gas block and a flip up front sight. I plan on buying a Magpul rear flip up for sure and will eventually get an optic of some type. When I asked about running a fixed fsp with an optic at the local store, the gentleman there had the opinion that it cluttered the view in a SD situation.

Being this is my first rifle, it's tough to know what I want until I have bought and used it for a while and figure out my needs. Apart from range use and (hopefully not) SD/HD, there is a chance I might take some classes at a later date.

Thanks for any input you can provide, and in general as this forum is a great resource for a new guy like me.

Cheers,
    Matt

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Does anyone know the weight difference between the 12" Lite rail and Omega X?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Double tap

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post

Weights are all listed on DDs site.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post

They weigh the same at 15.3 oz.

Feedback Score
    You might see if this article answers your question: "Which Free-Float Rail System Should I Buy for my M4?"
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For reference and anyone else who hits this thread searching for rail weights; here's the link to rob_s rail chart

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...en&output=html

It shows just over an ounce difference between the two
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    You might see if this article answers your question: "Which Free-Float Rail System Should I Buy for my M4?"
    Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read but it talks about the Omega rail and not the Omega X. I believe there is a difference but don't recall what.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Main difference between all of them is the mounting method. The Lite Rail is probably the most solid, followed by the Omega X, then the drop in Omega. That being said, they are all quality rails, and even the drop in Omega is extremely solid.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Vegas, here's another short thread where I was trying to sort out some of the differences. Maybe it helps some

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43329

As to you fsp question I have found that having a fixed fsp does not really clutter the sight picture with non magnified optics (T1) as long as you are using a lower 1/3 riser instead of an absolute co-witness. Now what I did find bothered me was the fixed rear sight. I replaced the DD fixed rear with an mbus and while lite I think I'll be trading it for a troy. ymmv
    Last edited by Icculus; 12-10-10 at 10:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast