Hi All,

I am new to the AR platform and I'm in the process of putting together my first rifle. I just picked up my lower today and I'm trying to figure which way I am going to go with my upper. I plan on ordering a Daniels Defense midlength upper from Smartgunner.com. I'm trying decide between AR15 Lite and Omega X Rail systems. What are the advantages of each? I have to be honest and say they look very similar to my eye. I have handled an Omega X and it seemed extremely light.

The other choice I am stuck on is whether to order with the fixed front sight or go with the low profile gas block and a flip up front sight. I plan on buying a Magpul rear flip up for sure and will eventually get an optic of some type. When I asked about running a fixed fsp with an optic at the local store, the gentleman there had the opinion that it cluttered the view in a SD situation.

Being this is my first rifle, it's tough to know what I want until I have bought and used it for a while and figure out my needs. Apart from range use and (hopefully not) SD/HD, there is a chance I might take some classes at a later date.

Thanks for any input you can provide, and in general as this forum is a great resource for a new guy like me.

Cheers,
Matt