Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DD Upper: AR15 Lite Rail or Omega X Rail?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to the AR platform and I'm in the process of putting together my first rifle. I just picked up my lower today and I'm trying to figure which way I am going to go with my upper. I plan on ordering a Daniels Defense midlength upper from Smartgunner.com. I'm trying decide between AR15 Lite and Omega X Rail systems. What are the advantages of each? I have to be honest and say they look very similar to my eye. I have handled an Omega X and it seemed extremely light.

The other choice I am stuck on is whether to order with the fixed front sight or go with the low profile gas block and a flip up front sight. I plan on buying a Magpul rear flip up for sure and will eventually get an optic of some type. When I asked about running a fixed fsp with an optic at the local store, the gentleman there had the opinion that it cluttered the view in a SD situation.

Being this is my first rifle, it's tough to know what I want until I have bought and used it for a while and figure out my needs. Apart from range use and (hopefully not) SD/HD, there is a chance I might take some classes at a later date.

Thanks for any input you can provide, and in general as this forum is a great resource for a new guy like me.

Cheers,
    Matt
    The Lite Rail is slightly smaller in diameter than the Omega rails. It's thinner side to side making the shape more oval.

Both the Omega and Omega X have built in QD sling mounts on the receiver side of the rail. They are also removable for easier cleaning under the rails, if it needs to be done.

The difference between the Omega and Omega X is that the Omega is a drop in free float rail. It uses the standard barrel nut and delta ring assembly. The Omega X uses its own barrel nut and requires removing the FSB for installation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by outrider627 View Post
    The Lite Rail is slightly smaller in diameter than the Omega rails. It's thinner side to side making the shape more oval.

Both the Omega and Omega X have built in QD sling mounts on the receiver side of the rail. They are also removable for easier cleaning under the rails, if it needs to be done.

The difference between the Omega and Omega X is that the Omega is a drop in free float rail. It uses the standard barrel nut and delta ring assembly. The Omega X uses its own barrel nut and requires removing the FSB for installation.
    No. The Omega X is THINNER than the LITE rails. I have a lot of both. I personally like the Omega X's as they have a thinner, sleeker contour, don't weigh anymore than the LITE rails AND they have integrated QD sling sockets, which you'll have to add to the LITE rails (adding weight, making the LITE's actually heavier and even more bulky.)
    They are not as solid as the LITE's but they are plenty solid - never had an issue with one loosening up ever - very strong mount.

I just wish DD made OMEGA X 10's, 11's and 308 offerings.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 12-10-10 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

They weigh the same at 15.3 oz.
    I've got a DD Lite 12.O, and an Omega FSP 12.0, and they both feel about the same - amazing!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    AR15 Lite Rail™ 12.0, Rifle
    Width: 2.06"

Omega Rail™ 12.0, Rifle
    Width: 1.90"

Omega X Rail™ 12.0, Rifle
    Width: 1.90"

Feedback Score
    I went through the same decision last month. I went with the Omega X due to the thinner profile and integrated QD mount. You really can't go wrong with either. I also went with the front site post. It's going to be a work weapon so the increased durability and reduced time to deploy back-up was worth it being in the site picture. As mentioned if you use lower third cowitness mounts it's not an issue.

Feedback Score
    i dont mean to derail this thread,but i am new to the ar platform.
    i was wondering about a spikes quad rail. any insite would be helpful.
    Thanks,

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post
    Thanks,
    Made me chuckle I don't know anything about the Spikes rails but I'm sure someone will.

Thanks for all the great replies, exactly what I was looking for. With it's slightly thinner profile and sling mount, sounds like the Omega X is the right choice for me.

Icculus: the lower 1/3 method sounds like a good compromise. I'll check out some pics.

Thanks,
    Matt.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Thanks,
    Just Google Spike's SAR or BAR rails and you will find all you need to know about them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for all the great replies, exactly what I was looking for. With it's slightly thinner profile and sling mount, sounds like the Omega X is the right choice for me.
    That and $25 cheaper at smartgunner is why I chose it.

Feedback Score
    Get the SAR rail, it's a LOT thinner and a LOT lighter than the older BAR. SAR comes with a titanium bbl nut and is lighter than a DD LITE rail.

They're JUST starting to ship now and in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast