Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Your Long Guns?

Feedback Score

Hiding Your Long Guns?

My Girlfriend and I, live in a 1 BR 800sq ft Apartment, not very big. We live a nice part of town, so we hardly hear about any crime but anything is possible, no matter where you live. I have a XD40 SC and planning on adding an Ar to my HD arms. Here's the thing I have a safe for the handgun but not one for my future rifle. What's a good hiding spot for a rifle incase of a break-in (while i'm not home), where no-one would find it? I was thinking about pinning it under the bed somewhere.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are a couple threads in AR general discussion on this topic. Mostly looks like in the wall safes from CTD. But I wouldn't tell where I hide mine on a public forum open to anybody that may be Christmas shopping for themselves while you are at work......

Feedback Score
    Shhhhh....

Hide it in a Christmas tree box in the closet.

Shhhhh.....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hang it in the closet between your clothes.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ... and before you hide the rifle pull the BCG and lock it in the pistol locker. That way if they find the gun and steal it they'll have to figure out how to find a BCG to get it running. A pretty steep chore for the average crackhead burglar.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't even keep it assembled or even readily accessible for home defense.

You live in an 800 sq ft. apartment which probably has what? 3? 4 rooms? And most of them are pretty open to one another. I bet you can stick your head out your bedroom door and spit and you'll hit the far side of your apartment.

Is the layout of your apartment such that the firepower of a long gun outweighs the drawbacks of its maneuverability? And unless your apartment opens to a big old field, the extended range an AR will give you won't really be of help when you can spit from one end of your apartment to the other.

It's probably hard enough to hide a handgun around the apartment, let alone something as long as a carbine. And with a place that small, unless you have a hidden wall safe or a giant gun safe bolted to the floor, anyone searching your apartment for valuables WILL find your gun no matter where you hide it.

When you were a kid, was there any place your parents could hide your birthday presents or Christmas presents where you couldn't find them? You think someone relying on finding jewelry or electronics so they can get their next fix is going to be any less skilled at finding hidden items in an 800 sq ft place?

I live in the same size apartment. It doesn't make sense for me to reach for my AR over my Glock. I keep it broken down.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Pantry dude.

Separate the receivers, and stick the lower in the pantry. Stick the upper in a sock drawer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm surprised i'm the first to say this... but if you're not home, and your rifle is- you need to have it secured. hiding it is not acceptable, in my opinion. you can get cheap gun "lockers" at bi-mart/wal-mart and sporting good stores for like $90, or less on sale. might even be able to find a used one for like $50 on craigslist or something. stick it in the closet, and bolt it to the studs from the inside. this will not stop a truly determined individual, but it'll deter probably 95% of burglarizing crackheads.

you're gonna spent 900-2000 on the rifle... is another bill too much to make sure you keep it?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 12-11-10 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gun locker or gun safe in the closet bolted down if possible. It will stop most crash and dash robbers. I leave no guns out when not home. My wife has a revolver in a quick access security box that is bolted down.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Frankly, hiding it won't work because they know all the spots. Majority of break-ins in a place like your's is going to be kids looking for dope or money, or something they can quickly turn into either.

I was burglarized in FL many years ago. My roomate had guns "hidden" in his room. I had mine in my safe in my room. I still have my guns, his got turned into dope or cash. They took the place apart quickly and went though anything that was small enough to hold a bag of pot.

Any safe, even a cheap one, will slow them down enough that they won't bother. They aren't the highly trained cat burglar type. They're just punks looking for dope or cash. Put your gun in a safe, or at least a security cabinet and they'll grab something they can take fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast