Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many lumens is too much for a bump in the night light?

Feedback Score
    Also, you have to keep in mind you eyes needs to get adjusted to the light. When first turning on the light, I would never aim it at a wall of any kind... because of fear of getting blinded. I would always hit the carpet first with the light... this allows my eyes to get used to the light and also floods the room, giving me a better picture.

That's the only reason I really like 200 lumen LED light indoor, you can use the walls,ceiling, floors, etc... to flood the room, giving you better sight of the area.

~dpc

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm using the Rogers/Surefire method, so my light is aiming where the gun is (which would not be at the low ready when entering a room containing a potential threat.)
    I don't prescribe to the low ready method. I use the center mass as my low ready, that way initial shots (if needed) find their mark without delay.

Think of it as starting at the belt line and working its way up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I don't prescribe to the low ready method. I use the center mass as my low ready, that way initial shots (if needed) find their mark without delay.

Think of it as starting at the belt line and working its way up.
    So your "ready position" is pointing your gun at someone already?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The 135 Lumens that the TLR-1 generates that I have on my G17 is good enough for me to investigate bumps in the night. I might upgrade one day to the SFX300 but the TLR-1 has done everything I have asked of it.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

my take

If it blinds you the shooter or impairs you vision to react effectively. Also if you use an RDS and it washes it out making it an ineffective tube paperweight.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    So your "ready position" is pointing your gun at someone already?

Close Ready.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For "bump in the night" Daylight is not too much.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Count me in with the sensitive eyes crowd...

I had a G2L with a TNV upgrade (260 lumen? IIRC) for my nightstand. I actually needed to use it one night with night adapted/just awakened vision... It was eye opening to say the least. Blinded me for several seconds. I have dark walls and I was aiming the light at about a 45 to the floor.

I started playing with different light levels after fully adjusting my eyes to the dark. I feel once you start getting up over 80 lumens (SF lumens at least) you're asking for trouble. It's too much for my eyes when fully adjusted to the dark anyway.

Now I use my LX2 and I feel the 30 lumen low output is just about perfect. It's plenty of light to see what needs to be seen (navigating my house and spotting anything/anyone out of place) without the risk of blinding myself... I do like the option of instantly going to 200 lumens with the LX2 if needed (preferably after my eyes have adjusted some to the low level). 30 lumens is definitely on the low side and I wouldn't use something that was limited to that output. But for a "bump in the night light" I think it's a nice first option.

I also have an X300 on my nightstand gun. The plan stays the same though... Use the handheld (on low) first if at all possible (ie: someone isn't already crashing into my bedroom as I wake).

I think the "brighter is better" is alot like the "bigger is better" mentality... Complete BS for most people and most apps.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The 200 lumen surefire scoutlight is WAYYY too bright for indoor use. Hitting a wall 10ft is painfully blinding and I need to keep my aimpoint T-1 on setting 8 or above to keep it from washing out which is definitely too bright for a dark house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123