Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What works for me, my completion of a GP rifle, with a 'lil unobtanium

Feedback Score

What works for me, my completion of a GP rifle, with a 'lil unobtanium

[Intro]: Quite the extended history for this rifle, I Started this project approx 10months ago and it has been completed 99% as of now. I wanted to start with a plan to create a General Purpose (gp) rifle and stick with it. I wanted it to be good at everything, and bad at nothing. It has been a long road with multiple parties contributing some time to this in multiple arenas, (planning, assembly, recovery [:O], etc). So the post will be my contribution for the GP rifles out there, and a thanks to all those involved. Not alot of expense was spared with this, but it didn't bite too much since it was built over such a long period of time. Do not know what really inspired this, I think the infamous "Recce" concept did, and I have the vsbr, sbr, and spr, so it was the last cool guy rifle to build [:P] The end goal for this rifle was not too put small sub-moa groups on paper, but to be able to shoot from 0-600 meters and get man sized hits efficiently and quickly.

[Major Components]:

Barrel: The barrel is a Lilja stainless steel 16inch, 1-8 twist, MOD 1 countour with mid-length gas system from MSTN. I am big fan of lilja barrels, bottom line. They work, they shoot, and keep shooting from my experience with my SPR. I decided on the 16inch for a couple of reasons, didn't want to SBR a 14.5, this barrel was available rather quickly, so I snatched it up. The 16inch barrel yields acceptable velocities through out the spectrum of ammunition 55-77grainers. With that velocity, it requires a little less hold over at longer distances. Stainless steel was selected simply since it came from Lilja, I was debating on trying to find a chrome barrel for this project, but I wanted to keep with the Lilja barrel I had purchased. Would I feel "under gunned" or "feel less accurate" with a chrome barrel? not at all, not for the purpose behind this rifle. I do not shoot full auto, but I wanted to preserve the barrel for what it is. Was debating on getting it fluted. I had the opportunity to get the dimpling process done to it, which in theory allows the barrel to cool quicker by allowing it to shed heat faster with more surface area, it also in theory is more stiff due to the increase in surface area. I do not have the graph to show this for this particular rifle. Although, if it doesn't, it still looks pretty cool to me and is something different. Barrel was originally 35.7 ounces with nothing attached, dimpling brought it down to 29.5 ounces.

Pros of this barrel: VERY Accurate, 1-8 twist allows for any length/grain of bullet, aids in balance, mid-length gas system a little less abusive with a 16inch barrel, matched bolt
    Cons of this barrel: Cost, stainless steel has said to have a shorter life with higher round counts

Receivers: Knights lower and upper, the upper looks straight. I was debating on doing another Larue upper, but as you'll see, it seemed to break up the rifle from the original parts included.

Pros of the knights lower/upper: came together as a complete rifle, rare, looks
    Cons of the knights lower/upper: cost, ability to replace

Trigger: Tuned Mil-Spec trigger, nice break at 4lbs. This is the part where I might be done. I am throwing around the idea of throwing a Geissele trigger into the lower. Absolute believer in the geissele after using one exclusively in my SPR for the last year and half. And with the quality of the product, I do not have on hesitation throwing a Geissele into a KAC lower receiver []

Modular Rail System: Was lucky to find a rifle length URX. I was very curious about this rail system from the beginning, Having shot and played with New-Arguy's urx, I was even more curious. The weight surprised me the most, the mounting method through the barrel nut, all very interesting designs. It has the cool guy factor, but it had to be measured and cut for the front sight gas block. With the general purpose carbine, I wanted to be efficient in shot placement so making the sure weight is in the right places of the rifle was a goal, and the rails system while not being the lightest, is light in the right areas.

Pros: Balanced weight for my rifle, rare, continuous top rail (some consider this a pro, not me),
    Cons: Needed to be cut, mounting require special tools I do not have, if i need to dis-assemble the rifle, it needs to be sent out to remove the handguard, not laser marked or t-numbered (not a disadvantage for me)

Optic Systems: Meopta K-Dot and KAC rear and front BUIS

The Meopta K-Dot is a 1-4x illuminated reticle that I have been using for the last 6 months. I am very pleased with the optic, it is 90% of the short-dot at 40% of the price. It has been through 2 adv. carbine courses and never had a problem. I just replaced the battery for the first time this last weekend. I have left the reticle on and left it in the safe multiple times and just now replacing it. The reticle is NOT for precision shooting, and that is fine. Some would say the optic and the barrel dont go well together, i think the opposite. I wanted a clear, 1-4x that I could push any grain bullet out to the target with maxmial velocity combined with a 1-4x view. Some could say the meopta is the best of both worlds instead of buying a aimpoint with 3x, you get a one piece mounted optic with a reticle that is day time visible and can make hits to the target. Lots of reviews of the optic on here that can a variety of views. But for my goal of a GP rifle, to be able to have an optic that performs VERY CLOSELY to an aimpoint at 1x, and then be able to reach out to 4x like an ACOG all in one package. The mount is Larue, no review needed there.

Pros: 1-4x view, true 1x, aimpoint bright in daylight, 30mm tube, price, lifetime warranty (some consider this bunk since warranties on fighting optics are a false sense of security, no comment either way, its there though), QD if needed to be removed, allows for buis to be mounted underneath
    Cons: Lenght of optic, a little longer than the S&B, weight with mount is 1.5lb, on the heavier side

The BUIS I chose are both from Knight's Armament. The rear is the 300meter folding BUIS. This is my first experience with the 300 meter rear sight, so I cannot give too much information on it yet, still getting used to it. The front folding sight is the front sight folding/gas block combo. I have always been a fan of the folding front sight/gas block combo's and i had the opportunity to grab a KAC one. It is a nice unit, but i was a little upset in the beginning because the front sight would pop up every 3 or 4 rounds on my first range session. With the help of new-arguy's ingenious, we popped the front sight blade out, noticed the spring was missing a detent. We jimmy rigged a detend through it down there, put the spring in, dropped the front sight blade in again, works like a charm. The lever moves with alot more force, locks into position more securely, and it stays locked down during mag dumps and butt stock slams So far so good, new to to this system also, so more to come. The gas block is pinned into the place which is a nice feature, secure is good.

Down Position:

Up Position:

Rear Sight Under K-Dot:

Bi-Pod/VFG Combo: for a GP carbine, if I want to prone out and shoot, damnit I want to do it. If I want to hold onto my vertical foregrip while shooting also without anymore weight out on the front, i want to do it. The Grip-Pod seems to do both these jobs well. There was an excellent review done by Slug-O, an avid shooter and grip-pod user. Not much else that could be said here other than for a GP rifle,

Pros: The ability to have a vfg/bi-pod in one, weight saving, durability, mounting system mounts to any spec rail, price when you consider a vfg is 50-60 and bipods with adapters are up to 100, then think weight savings
    cons:

Light System: Surefire m951 9v weapon light mounted with a larue lt170 QD with tape switch activation.. Not much else to be said about surefire, battle proven. Some debate the 9v vs the 6v, im not sold either way haven't really looked into changing this option. But the light with mount weighs in at 0.8lbs. I might look into a 6v to drop the weight, but will dropping down to a 6v really save that much weight? we'll see

Stock: LMT SOPMOD stock, always been my favorite. It locks tight on the extension, provides excellent cheek weld, quality construction, adjustable. For a GP carbine, i might want to shoot distance, so having a nice cheek weld is important for me.

Pros: cheek weld, construction
    cons: price

Internals: KAC Bolt Carrier, PRI Gas Buster, MPI'd and matched bolt for barrel

Sling: Undecided at this moment.

Suppression: This was a long decision on my part, and it came down to some "materialistic needs" of mine, i guess you could say. I originally had a Surefire M4FA can approved on a form 4 ready to pick up for this rifle. Then I had the opportunity to purchase a nice KAC can produced in the mid to late 90s. I was a little hesitant but its nice to have the entire rifle tained with some unobtanium. I dont have alot of rounds through this can, just picked it up last weekend, but I first shot it in doors and it actually suppressed the rifle ALOT better than i thought it would. its a very compact can, smaller than I originally thought. It is truly a quick detach. When shooting in doors, I removed my hearing protection and it actually was borderline comfortable, didn't make my ears ring. I believe with this can the baffles are made of inconel which makes the weight heavier than most. It came in 1.25lbs. I have not yet tested the rifle's groupings with the can on and off, soon to come.

Pros: Quick detach (not a big deal to me, some consider it), VERY rare, suppresses well for a short can, inconel baffles(?), quality construction, feels like a suppressor should
    Cons: requires mounting to a very hard to find flash hider, cost, ability to replace,

Pre-mount:

Latch:

Blast Baffle:

End Cap:

Attached:

Initial Rifle Characteristics:

Weight:

Rifle with optic, grip-pod, magazine, surefire: 10.25lbs
    Rifle with optic, grip-pod, magazine, surefire, suppressor: 11.5 lbs
    Rifle completely stripped down (minus optic, can, light, with just iron sights): 7.96lbs
    Overall Length: 33inches
    Overal Length with suppressor: 37.5inches

Balance:

The rifle balances well, the LMT stock is a little heavier than most, and with the grip pod out on the rail, the center of balance is pretty damn close to where it should be. I have never been a fan of suppressing a 16inch barrel, hanging out a long heavy suppressor on a 16inch barrel has made the rifle feel off balance. With this one, its not too bad. Almost pretty damn good.

Shooting with the grip-pod deployed, makes everything enjoyable, 'nuff said.

Accuracy :

I shot to sight in my K-Dot @ 100 yards, and even with a reticle that is > MOA, it was posting some damn nice groups on the shoot-n-cee, very close to 1moa. When I get a chance, I'll throw on a scope with a little more precise reticle to see what the barrel is capable of. My plans will be to shoot it 0-600 yards, and I have full confidence that it will do everything I want it to within that range, within the shooters capabilities of course

Cost:

"Too much" would be the appropriate answer. yes its insured.

Assembly Time

Approx 7 months

Left Over Pictures :

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3...7104Medium.jpg
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7...7107Medium.jpg
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1...7105Medium.jpg
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6...7106Medium.jpg

16inch compared to 12.5 with OPS 15th model:

Conclusion:

Did I reach my goal? A little early to tell, but I am on my way to saying yes. I dont think there is much this rifle cannot do as long as the shooter can perform. No rifle can do everything great, but you can get a rifle to do alot of things good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My URX (rifle cut down by coldblue) was laser marked and T numbered...

But Very Very nice build
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    My URX (rifle cut down by coldblue) was laser marked and T numbered...

But Very Very nice build

Thanks kevin

it is a unique URX, as you noticed, it did not come lasermarked with the kac address nor T-numbers...neither are very important to myself

Only thing I have changed it he lighting system, I moved on to a smaller surefire..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post

Only thing I have changed it he lighting system, I moved on to a smaller surefire..

You and me both.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow. That suppressor is very very short looking. Doesn't even look like there's much room left inside for the Keebler Elves to work their magic...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like it.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Derek,

Excellent write-up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Rifle

Vary nice. What manufacturers front sight/gas block is that and did MSTN do the pinning? I am considering the same setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Wow. That suppressor is very very short looking. Doesn't even look like there's much room left inside for the Keebler Elves to work their magic...
    I completely agree. For a can that was being made when I was trying to figure out who take to "teen" night in middle school, it works pretty damn well

Quote Originally Posted by Mike91A View Post
    Vary nice. What manufacturers front sight/gas block is that and did MSTN do the pinning? I am considering the same setup.

KAC makes that flip up/gas block combo, and MSTN did not do the pinning...

Feedback Score
    Hey derek can you enlighten me to the mods that were done to the kac flipper to keep it folded? Mine seems to have the problem after a few shots it unlocks and flips up. Does yours have one spring inside or more?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast