Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The First Chink in the Armor - Health Care Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    My point exactly. Remember that the next time a court goes against your political beliefs and you're quick to judge their action as Judicial Activism.
    Your statement is a giant assumption without understanding. If you wish to give me a specific example of a decision which you think goes against my political beliefs that I've subsequently called activism, I'd be happy to address it. Better yet give me some cases which the left calls conservative activism and I'll either point out where most don't fit the above definition or agree.

There are lots of court decisions I disagree with ideologically that I don't call judicial activism. In general activism was a characteristic of the Warren court (one which he heartily endorsed) but almost never of the Rehnquist/Roberts court which has pushed back against that tendency. Conservatives rarely engage in activism, even when it doesn't suit their ideological preferences, activism tends to be a liberal disease no matter what Huff Post would have you believe.

The problem with activism is that politicians and judges use the courts to create law that would fail during the regular legislative process. For instance Roe v. Wade, while I do agree in a constitutional right to privacy that isn't explicitly spelled out, the issue of abortion is one that needs to be made through a legislative process. While Democrats scream and cry about "protecting Roe against the extreme wing of the GOP" they've done nothing to either enshrine abortion in law or through Constitutional amendment.

Conflating disagreement with activism is a false choice.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 12-14-10 at 14:00.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    How about they just leave the entire issue alone instead? I think the states are perfectly capable of managing their own insurance issues, and since the feds already made a law against interstate commerce of medical insurance why are they involved in it anyways?

Everything they do to "fix health care" has driven the cost up, and has since at least the 60's, and made worse by forcing hospitals to treat people who aren't going to pay them in the 80's.

We have the most expensive, most inefficient healthcare system in the world. I'm not happy with wasting my money on it and being robbed blind at every doctor or hospital visit. I'm not happy getting raped by insurance companies.

Do I think our government will do much about it? Nope. Unfortunately the healthcare, pharma, and insurance industries spend far too much lobbying money making sure that we the people will continue to get f*cked.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God!
    Last edited by Skyyr; 12-14-10 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Really? What about the health care systems in Cuba, China, North Korea? How would you rate them as far as efficiency goes?

If our system is so horrible, why are foreign heads of state coming over here for medical treatment, instead of Havana or Harbin?

Quote Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
    We have the most expensive, most inefficient healthcare system in the world. I'm not happy with wasting my money on it and being robbed blind at every doctor or hospital visit. I'm not happy getting raped by insurance companies.

Do I think our government will do much about it? Nope. Unfortunately the healthcare, pharma, and insurance industries spend far too much lobbying money making sure that we the people will continue to get f*cked.
    Last edited by GermanSynergy; 12-14-10 at 15:45.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Really? What about the health care systems in Cuba, China, North Korea?

If our system is so horrible, why are foreign heads of state coming over here for medical treatment, instead of Havana?
    Ignore him, his goal is to become so annoying that the ops will have no choice but to shut a thread down. It's already happened once today.

He's not interested in honest debate and he can't actually believe the nonsense he spouts so it's obvious that his way that he silences those he disagrees with.

Don't play his game. Just put him on ignore, no one here agrees with him anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    US has: most Nobel prizes in Medicine for many decades, huge majority of the major medical innovations of the past several decades, many times more R&D money spent than the entire European continents R&D. If the US system was truly junk why do people from all over the world come here to get advanced surgery? A lot of things need to be fixed but we are far from the worst. Mexico spends a lot less than us, therefore its better?

this stuff isnt free, and the rest of the world gets to benefit from it without fronting all the money for it. What a deal. Dont even try to argue this "most spending per capita" stuff, at least we have something to show for it from what I listed above. All the universal healthcare countries don't innovate crap yet they get to use the innovations and tech WE pioneered, without spending a freaking dime.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba649

Tell me which out of all the worlds country would you rather be sick in?
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 12-14-10 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I get so sick of hearing this BS. Our care, our doctors, our system is the best in the world by leaps and effing bounds. Not perfect by any stretch of the word, but come on.

Why do affluent people from every single country in the world, choose to flocke here and utilize our health care system at a MUCH higher cost to them (Not to mention being displaced from ones country)?
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Please people don't feed the troll.

This thread is to discuss the District court's decision not debating the virtues of the American health care system which no one legitimately disputes as the best in the world.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Really? What about the health care systems in Cuba, China, North Korea? How would you rate them as far as efficiency goes?

If our system is so horrible, why are foreign heads of state coming over here for medical treatment, instead of Havana or Harbin?

If you're a wealthy head of state, we have great healthcare. Problem is, most Americans simply can't afford it.

About half of the bankruptcy filings in the United States are due to medical expenses. Source: Health Affairs Journal 2005

The United States spends twice as much on health care per capita ($7,129) than any other country . . . and spending continues to increase. In 2005, the national health care expenditures totaled $2 trillion. Source: National Center for Health Statistics

From 2000 to 2006, overall inflation has increased 3.5%, wages have increased 3.8%, and health care premiums have increased 87%. Source: Kaiser Family Foundation

More than 40 million adults stated that they needed but did not receive one or more of these health services (medical care, prescription medicines, mental health care, dental care, or eyeglasses) in 2005 because they could not afford it. Source: National Center for Health Statistics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Ignore him, his goal is to become so annoying that the ops will have no choice but to shut a thread down. It's already happened once today.

He's not interested in honest debate and he can't actually believe the nonsense he spouts so it's obvious that his way that he silences those he disagrees with.

Don't play his game. Just put him on ignore, no one here agrees with him anyway.
    If you're ignoring me, you're doing a pretty piss poor job. At least have a LITTLE bit of a spine to stand behind your own convictions. Nah, you can't even do that. Just take cheap personal shots at me because I dared to prove you wrong and you just couldn't keep up.

STOP PROJECTING!
    Last edited by rickrock305; 12-14-10 at 16:05.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast