Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAR 1 Range outing

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SAR 1 Range outing

1st outing with my SAR-1 - got it from GB - origninal owner said he did around 130 rounds. I believe it. Came with synthetic black furniture tat looks like KVAR with lower HG heat shield. No markings. Gun is matched serial numbered all over.

SAR is crude and rough compared to my CAI Ugo. But, it works. Shot about 160 rounds through it. Had a sting where I got the barrel to smoke, and you could NOT grab the barrel, but could grab the piston tube - nice. Flawless and smooth feeding. It came with 20 round Promags. (I know). But for the range on a rest they are great. The chamber entrance has a nice little feeding dimple which is also hard chromed.

Sights were a little canted and I could see that the front was adjuted over pretty far. I "fixed" it with a small mallet - nylon side. But, as it proved I set it off the other side, and had to adjust. sight tool works well - you measure the turns.

It would hold ten to twenty rounds all inside a 4 inch circle at 50 with irons and old eyes. That is plenty OK for me - given that fact that it only opened up a bit when standing goes to the ergonomics for me. If it had a peep like an AR it would hold to a 2-3 inch circle I would bet. (My DD put 10 in about 1.5 inches today.

Developed a "trigger crunch" and slap after shooting awhile. Seems OK now again in dry firing it. I took off most of the tab behind the dis-connector, and polished it. We'll see - but it may need a G2.

Follow up shots are not quite as easy with the AK, but it shoots soft. Of course my Yugo shoots like a girl.

Overall, I like it a BUNCH. Just as fun to shoot as an AR. Need to do a match with the Yugo and SA-85, but I think this will hold its own.

BTW - when I stick the bolt in the chamber to look at fit - very little if any play.
    Last edited by m4brian; 12-18-10 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

My first AK was an SAR-1. I still love it. The G2 FCG was the best $30 I spent on it. Went from wood to the wire folder and now all K-VAR Warsaw stock set.

They are great AK's, dimples and all. Ugly as sin but you gotta love the little bastards.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had a SAR-2 for a number of years and Love it. They SAR rifles were known for trigger slap.....Mine had a bad case of it, but Derek at AZEX took care of that when he was refinishing it in OD green......it is my favorite AK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1) Ilovetoshot: What other AKs do you have? Need to post a pic of the green SAR2. (Please).

2) My trigger problem COULD be headspace and timing (me). I actually used the safety lever to lock the action at one point. I MAY have left it unlocked, and it MAY have creeped into the position to actually RUB the trigger. After taking the trigger apart last night and remounting it after some defanging, I noticed binding and could not understand why. The safety was partially "on". So, maybe mine is OK. But, I may try the G2 anyway.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SAR-2 - OD green, Ultimak mount, OKO red dot with metal shield also done in OD......the cleaning rod is black, forgot to put is back in before that picture......

I also have a Norinco NHM-90 in a blondish stock, but wanna get a Ironwood Dark Walnut stock set for it.

Got another FrankinAK that is a project in process. it is going to have a Ace side folder on it, the flush on. I cut the top tang off to allow it....I only have about $75 into it, so hacking it up to get what I want is no big deal......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilove2shoot View Post

SAR-2 - OD green, Ultimak mount, OKO red dot with metal shield also done in OD......the cleaning rod is black, forgot to put is back in before that picture......

I also have a Norinco NHM-90 in a blondish stock, but wanna get a Ironwood Dark Walnut stock set for it.

Got another FrankinAK that is a project in process. it is going to have a Ace side folder on it, the flush on. I cut the top tang off to allow it....I only have about $75 into it, so hacking it up to get what I want is no big deal......
    Sehr cool - how does it shoot compared to the Norinco? (totally ticked I passed one up 3-4 years ago at a steal...).

What kind of sling is that?

BTW - does your SAR have a little hitch in the action that allows you sometimes to let the bolt stay open and to the rear? ALL AKs have te hitch, but there is something in the Rommies that lets it hang - what?
    Last edited by m4brian; 12-19-10 at 19:17. Reason: Keep from duplicating pic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's a standard Romanian sling in the picture.

There's nothing special about the Romanian SAR series having a hitch that holds the bolt back, that's the Century Arms US FCG pushing up against the bolt carrier that's holding it back. The geometry is sometimes OK, and sometimes needs a little work with those FCG's.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah. I suppose I could file and polish. But when I get my retaining plates in, I may just put in the G2.

Here's my humble SAR:

Last edited by m4brian; 12-19-10 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Junk them for a G2 or K-Var FCG.

The Century crap isn't worth saving.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Junk them for a G2 or K-Var FCG.
    I would appreciate a pros and cons of the two FCGs from an expert like, oh, yourself.

I have a G2 in my SAR-1 and in a friend's AK and I don't like the way that the trigger seems to fire as soon as you touch it at the very front of its path of travel as well as how light it is.

How does the Kvar FCG compare to it?

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast