Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pics of 100% USA Made Glock (56K beware)

Feedback Score
    I'll stick with my Austria guns for the next few years until the US factory proves itself.

STOP SCREWING WITH ''PERFECTION''. D:

I hope the new finish is just as durable.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Melonite = Tenifer = Nitrocarburization.

I am willing to bet that the lack of avilability of Tenifer in the US is that Tenifer is most likely a trademarked cyanide salt bath nitrocarburizing with specific post treatment processes. Melonite is a salt bath process as well, but I am willing to bet that the salts do not contain cyanide.

Melonite/Tenifer are not finishes. They are a heat treatment case hardening process that just so happens to turn stainless steels a black/dark greyish color in addition to migrating nitrogen and carbon atoms into the steels crystalline matrix through the case depth to increase hardness and corrosion resistance.

There are many companies in the US that can easily nitrocarburize stainless steel.

OBTW, Melonite QPQ is not suitable for stainless steels so I doubt that S&W uses that process for the M&P slides. Melonite QP is probably what they use.

I also am very familiar with the quality of US-made stainless steels in various alloys, having worked extensively with 303 alloy and precipitation hardening grades 15-5 and 17-4 in my work of manufacturing electric motor rotors for aerospace applications. I have absolutely no reason at all to think that Germans, Austrians, or anyone else can cast, roll, or forge stainless any better than we can.

Believe it or not, we Americans can still manufacture world class products and the suggestion of some here that we can't are just freaking ignorant. In fact, give me the drawings and specs for Glock's slide and I am positive my employer and the subcontractors we use can make them exactly like they are made in Austria when it comes to dimensional and metallurgical quality.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-18-10 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks, I couldn't remember the melonite name. I haven't had any problems with my m&p finish, I just prefer tenifer. Hopefully the American made glocks will be comparable in every aspect, but I like uniformity and try to stick with what I know works. It's pretty cool they are moving production over here though.

Thanks AS for the information. So is melonite as hard as tenifer? And is the addition of cyanide in the treatment what precludes glock from treating the slides in the US (if it is true that they do not)? I can see how the EPA would be against it. If it is an equivalent treatment why would glock have continued so long to import the slides instead of switching the finish? Maybe they are just getting around to it...?

I hope no one interpreted what I said to mean Americans produce shit.
    Last edited by PlatoCATM; 12-18-10 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky241 View Post
    doesn't make a lick of sense does it? I think it may have something to do with Austria not being able to export some guns to certain country's
    It makes some sense IMO if only because the slightest changes Glock makes ignites internet bogging controversy and selling a non-tennifer finished gun stateside this year would be a seismic event creating a tsunami that would wipe out a quarter million Indonesians.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It makes some sense IMO if only because the slightest changes Glock makes ignites internet bogging controversy and selling a non-tennifer finished gun stateside this year would be a seismic event creating a tsunami that would wipe out a quarter million Indonesians.
    I kinda like this idea.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    100% is incorrect. The slide, barrel and frame are U.S. made all the small parts are still from Europe.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    So is melonite as hard as tenifer?
    By and large both are capable of achieving hardness in a similar range. You have to understand that heat treat hardening processes cannot produce a hardness down to an exact number. Each one is assigned a hardness range and sometimes they overlap. Nitrocarburizing stainless steel yields a hardness of around 65 - 75 in the Rockwell C scale. That is pretty freaking hard. That hardness is only a case that penetrates around .004" - .008" deep and leaves a softer, more ductile core. Case hardening has long been used in firearms manufacture due to its surface hardness and internal toughness. What has changed somewhat are the processes used.

And is the addition of cyanide in the treatment what precludes glock from treating the slides in the US (if it is true that they do not)? I can see how the EPA would be against it.
    I am speculating that Tenifer uses cyanide salts, but I am not sure. If it does, it may not be a case where it is illegal to use cyanide salts in the nitrocarburizing bath, but that the compliance costs are significantly higher. Which might make non-cyanitic salt baths more attractive here.

If it is an equivalent treatment why would glock have continued so long to import the slides instead of switching the finish? Maybe they are just getting around to it...?
    The hardening process is but one of the many cost drivers that figure into the make/buy or make locally vs import from home country decision.

I hope no one interpreted what I said to mean Americans produce shit.
    I kinda took it that way, but for me it's sort of personal since that is what I do for a living and am proud of the quality of the products that I have had a role in their assembly and manufacture.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am speculating that Tenifer uses cyanide salts, but I am not sure. If it does, it may not be a case where it is illegal to use cyanide salts in the nitrocarburizing bath, but that the compliance costs are significantly higher. Which might make non-cyanitic salt baths more attractive here.

Ohio but it is close enough, 95% of what they list is universal to the US:

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/portals/3...n_handbook.pdf

Pay attention to page 17.

BTW, when you see the low quantites listed for 'Acute' it means you are dealing with what is jokingly called "Methy Ethyl Death" or something that can kill you on the spot.

I am not the HazWaste Inspector but she does work down the hall from me and I sometimes accompany her so I do understand quite a bit about it.

BTW, the fruitbats that lament it was a .gov consipiracy to shut down Talon Industries, I can assure you it was anything but. I have seen the files and talked to the Inspectors including the above Haz Waste Inspector.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 12-18-10 at 16:37.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I definitely would NOT want an American Made glock. If I want something unreliable, I'll buy a 1911!!!
    So what country is your AR made in? I get so sick of the attitude that we cannot make quality anything anymore.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I definitely would NOT want an American Made glock. If I want something unreliable, I'll buy a 1911!!!
    I'm sure you are highly qualified to discuss America's manufacturing inability......

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast