Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Feedback Score
    If I had the money, I'd love to go to professional classes.

I never got 1 on 1 training, but I have bought training videos and purchased books, so my method is a lot cheaper than going to a class.
    1 thing I do is shoot alot, at 2 different gun clubs. Pulling a trigger often makes you become familiar with your guns. You can practice what you read and what you have watched on those training videos.
    NRA Benefactor Member

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    If I had the money, I'd love to go to professional classes.

I never got 1 on 1 training, but I have bought training videos and purchased books, so my method is a lot cheaper than going to a class.
    1 thing I do is shoot alot, at 2 different gun clubs. Pulling a trigger often makes you become familiar with your guns. You can practice what you read and what you have watched on those training videos.
    Only problem is you might be making mistakes, and never have the watchful eyes of someone to guide you. So all you are doing is reinforcing bad habits.

PJ

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    I'm in reasonably good shape yet I'm pretty tuckered after 3 days in gear running and gunning in the hot 90F degree sun... If your carrying an extra 20 +pounds and don't exercise with any regularity, your gonna suffer, and be a danger to your self and others... Again.. Know your limitations.

Guys and guns in close proximity seems to always increase the testosterone level... and you need to be cognizant of why your there.. it's not a competition... don't turn it in to one.. your there to learn, improve and or sustain...and have fun...don't forget that part.
    Chances are, if you are not used to your gear, you do not really need it. I am not a fan of the civi who wears more armor than a tank and never will actually use it.

Competition for me is a vital part of a class. I usually park myself on the line next to someone I know is my skill level or higher. This forces me to constantly try to perform at my highest level and prevents me from slacking off or taking it easy on myself. I have found by doing this I get so much more out of a class.

PJ

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Stickied.

AC

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    Chances are, if you are not used to your gear, you do not really need it. I am not a fan of the civi who wears more armor than a tank and never will actually use it.

Competition for me is a vital part of a class. I usually park myself on the line next to someone I know is my skill level or higher. This forces me to constantly try to perform at my highest level and prevents me from slacking off or taking it easy on myself. I have found by doing this I get so much more out of a class.
    PJ
    Competition is also important to me. I do the same thing. I've only been to 1 class so far but the one I went to I quickly identified who I thought was very good and tried to do at least as well as or better than that person. You can cruise through life or challenge yourself all along the way. I like the challenges much more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am going to take my first tactical class this summer. I am starting out at a crawl with a basic AR class and i gotta say that I am less nervous now, after reading this wealth of helpful information. As I don't have and endless budget for this newfound hobby, I kept my gear simple and inexpensive as I'm sure my choice in gear will change after the class. Fortunately, I work with a great guy that has been doing this for many years. Thank you all for the great tips and insight.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Many thanks to F2S and the others who put something into this thread! I will be taking my first firearms class next weekend and this thread has been a big help to me in preparing my gear and myself.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    VWI- I may have to disagree. Armor has its place in training. In a shoot house for sure. If I run level IV plates, is that overkill? I say no. I want to come home at the end of the day. Level IIIA(in a pistol only house) will work but a little extra can't hurt. Are level IV plates overkill in a carbine class? Maybe not. It's all about getting used to your gear.

I guess it would depend upon the wearer's reasons for wearing the armor and the type. Level IV armor in a basic pistol class may be a little much.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Others have talked about setup, an often overlooked aspect. It helps if you bring a heavy-duty stapler and a box of staples. Any good instructor will have some for the line, but staplers have a tendancy to migrate, hide, and commit suicide. Having your own ensures that you are not dependant on someone else remembering to hand the stapler to the left instead of to the right. Just like everything else, distinctly mark it or it might join the others in their escape.
    I'll second this, with an emphasis on the "heavy duty" part.
    I took a couple simple (required) classes back when I first got into shooting that were put on by a fellow from the local PD. I thought he did a good job overall, but the staplers we had to use were total crap- the ultra-cheap suicidal kind. Those things were the bane of the entire class, and added a lot of un-needed frustration as well as slowing things down.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Since we're talking about people thinking about going to a training class for the first time, I would like to say, "Don't let your apprehension/nervousness talk you out of it."

No doubt that it's a little unnerving to open yourself up to criticism, and no one likes to be ridiculed. I can only say I've taken well over a dozen classes, and maybe I've just been lucky, but even the most grizzled hard-ass instructors and the most savvy experienced classmates have been nothing but helpful and supportive (at least within earshot). I've found instruction to be nothing but a positive experience, and indeed I have formed many friendships at these classes, despite my not being the reincarnation of Paul Howe.

Anyone out there hesitating over the decision, just go, it will be a transformative experience for you.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast