Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: LAR Grizzly OPS-4 Upper Receiver

Feedback Score

Exclamation REVIEW: LAR Grizzly OPS-4 Upper Receiver

I found a thread here from back in May where the OP was asking about these uppers. Rather than bumping an old thread, I thought I would start a new one.

This review is part of an ongoing series detailing the various components we included in our recent Precision Rifle build and raffle.

Additional photos and videos can be found along with the review at:
    http://www.702shooter.com/product-re...pper-receiver/

Last edited by 702Shooter; 12-23-10 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What keeps the charging handle from unscrewing while in service?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    What keeps the charging handle from unscrewing while in service?
    Great question.

The threaded plug is flat on the bottom and butts up against the lower receiver. It can not turn when the two halves are together.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not the plug, the handle on the side. What retains it? What makes it captive?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    gas key is not staked.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Not the plug, the handle on the side. What retains it? What makes it captive?
    Ah, my bad.

It has a hex head bolt inside. A drop of loctite and a firm turn with a hex wrench.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisuello View Post
    gas key is not staked.
    2 reasons for that:

1: That's not the gas key that is on it now. This review is of the OPS-4 so the pics are of the OPS-4 BCG and gas key. We added a POF-USA Roller Cam Upgrade which replaced the gas key you see in the photos.

2: Staking is typically so you can not remove the gas key. A bit of loctite does the same job but not as permanently. We did not stake the gas key with the upgrade either because we gave this rifle away and the person who won it may want to reconfigure things.
    Last edited by 702Shooter; 12-23-10 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 702Shooter View Post
    Ah, my bad.

It has a hex head bolt inside. A drop of loctite and a firm turn with a hex wrench.
    You are saying you loctite the threaded shaft into the bolt carrier? Or is there something else that captures it?

I think you are talking about the knob on the shaft being loc-tited aren't you.

I am wanting to know what keeps the handle from unscrewing from the bolt carrier while it is in service, I.E. moving back and forth. I.E. What keeps it from self-dissassembling?
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 12-23-10 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    You are saying you loctite the threaded shaft into the bolt carrier? Or is there something else that captures it?

I think you are talking about the knob on the shaft being loc-tited aren't you.

I am wanting to know what keeps the handle from unscrewing from the bolt carrier while it is in service, I.E. moving back and forth. I.E. What keeps it from self-dissassembling?
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm building this into a 6.8SPC. Got about another month wait on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think his point is that locktite in that application is not ideal, as the heat will render it nearly useless. But if you were to use high temp permanent locktite, how would you remove the bolt?
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast