Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: carbine stock staking (comparison)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Is it me, or are you being silly for critiquing a pic that was posted about 5 years ago?
    First, despite the age, the pic remains relevant.

Second, didn't realize it was that old, as the post before mine in the thread was posted within hours of mine.

And Third, it looks like a poor example of staking, which I wouldn't expect from colt. Just wondering if I was seeing something that wasn't there.
    Last edited by thx997303; 08-03-12 at 02:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    First, despite the age, the pic remains relevant.

Second, didn't realize it was that old, as the post before mine in the thread was posted within hours of mine.

And Third, it looks like a poor example of staking, which I wouldn't expect from colt. Just wondering if I was seeing something that wasn't there.
    The staking in the pic you referenced is more than adequate to keep the castle nut in place. You don't have to fill the whole staking notch with metal to keep the castle nut secure.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    First, despite the age, the pic remains relevant. By extension, as do the text descriptions that are in plain view, and haven't changed in the intervening time

Second, didn't realize it was that old, as the post before mine in the thread was posted within hours of mine. Bolded by me....as it means that not only did you not bother to pay attention to the information contained in the body of the post, but you neglect to pay attention to the date-stamps that ALL posts have, in plain view.

And Third, it looks like a poor example of staking, which I wouldn't expect from colt. Just wondering if I was seeing something that wasn't there. No, you are missing (or deliberately refusing to see...) things that ARE there, and shit-talking a member of the forum staff in public when called on your lack of attentiveness....which means you're of a pretty advanced skillset in regard to not paying attention....
    That little attempt of yours to play Brig Lawyer was cute....in a clumsy-newborn-calf-trying-to-stand-for-the-first-time kind of way..., but you probably don't want to do it again.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    What kinda punch do you use to do this

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
    What kinda punch do you use to do this
    You can use a regular center punch, or a spring loaded punch....just make sure the tip has a good point on it so it doesn't slip...

Or you can grind down a steel flat face punch to make a center punch if you have extra flat face punches...
    Last edited by Hydguy; 08-03-12 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydguy View Post
    The staking in the pic you referenced is more than adequate to keep the castle nut in place. You don't have to fill the whole staking notch with metal to keep the castle nut secure.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure. Just looked weaker than some of the other good examples so I figured to ask.

Jsantoro, I have meant no disrespect to anyone on this forum, and I'm unsure where you're reading it. Definitely not intended.

The only text description of the picture I inquired about is the word Colt in the op as far as I've seen. The rest of the thread is discussing staking how tos and different end plates. Great stuff, but didn't answer the question I had.

I really asked the question because if I had seen it in a gun store, I would have dismissed it as improper staking, which apparently is in error. At least now I know better.

And with this, I will stop posting to this thread.
    Last edited by thx997303; 08-04-12 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Cement nails (hardened steel) can work as punches in a pinch.

Jake

Feedback Score
    Did some more digging and found this video from Brownells that also says 40 inch pounds, is there a website for some real milspec guidelines?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11642/learn/

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
    Did some more digging and found this video from Brownells that also says 40 inch pounds, is there a website for some real milspec guidelines?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11642/learn/
    Seriously... anyone with any kind of mechanical common sense can look at the size of the nut and thread pitch and realize that 40 inch pounds (3.32 ft /lbs) is 100% monkey-shit wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
    Seriously... anyone with any kind of mechanical common sense can look at the size of the nut and thread pitch and realize that 40 inch pounds (3.32 ft /lbs) is 100% monkey-shit wrong.
    Sorry your having a bad day bro.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678