Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot and HST Questions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am currently carrying Fed 147 gr HST and like the Speer 124 gr +P as well.

In addition, the Win 147 gr RA9T works well, as does the Fed Tactical 135 gr +P mentioned above; the Barnes 115 gr XPB is also a nice option.
    Doc,

What is your reason for opting for the Federal HST 147 grain over the Winchester RA9T 147 or Gold Dot 147? I'm carrying the Gold Dot for duty and I'm curious if there is a marked difference in your findings between the three. Also, is there any significant trade-off or improvement to be aware of in switching to the Gold Dot 124 +P from the 147?

Thanks for your insight.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Big fan of 147 grain 9mm here as well. I'll gladly run either Gold Dots, HST, or Winchester RA9T as all 3 have proven to be reliable in my guns. All are proven bullets, and given the cost and availability of ammo I'd say go with whatever is reliable for you.

Double Tap makes a +P loaded 147 Gold Dot that's also pretty good, though I've had issues with improperly seated primers in one lot. As with any serious-purposes ammo, make sure the primers are seated below flush and test for 100% reliability.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWulf View Post
    Doc,

What is your reason for opting for the Federal HST 147 grain over the Winchester RA9T 147 or Gold Dot 147? I'm carrying the Gold Dot for duty and I'm curious if there is a marked difference in your findings between the three. Also, is there any significant trade-off or improvement to be aware of in switching to the Gold Dot 124 +P from the 147?

Thanks for your insight.
    I'm not Doc, but for a while, the main difference was availability. Even as a LEO, over the last few years, Winchester and Speer have quoted shipping times in months (as in 12-18 months).

This may have improved since last summer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    "What is your reason for opting for the Federal HST 147 grain over the Winchester RA9T 147 or Gold Dot 147? I'm carrying the Gold Dot for duty and I'm curious if there is a marked difference in your findings between the three. Also, is there any significant trade-off or improvement to be aware of in switching to the Gold Dot 124 +P from the 147?"
    Winchester Ranger Talon had been used around here for over a decade with superb OIS incident results. Unfortunately, in 2008, Winchester was unable to deliver the quantity of ammo needed in the required time frame; the Federal HST met the bid requirements and was immediately available. For what it's worth, since the change over, the currently issued HST (P9HST2, P40HST1, P45HST1/P45HST2) has performed at least as well in OIS incidents as the previously issued Ranger Talon (RA9T, RA40T, RA45TP/RA45T). I would also have no issues running Speer Gold Dot; the 124 gr +P is a solid proven performer proven over many OIS incidents, the 147 gr is also a good load.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Winchester Ranger Talon had been used around here for over a decade with superb OIS incident results. Unfortunately, in 2008, Winchester was unable to deliver the quantity of ammo needed in the required time frame; the Federal HST met the bid requirements and was immediately available. For what it's worth, since the change over, the currently issued HST (P9HST2, P40HST1, P45HST1/P45HST2) has performed at least as well in OIS incidents as the previously issued Ranger Talon (RA9T, RA40T, RA45TP/RA45T). I would also have no issues running Speer Gold Dot; the 124 gr +P is a solid proven performer proven over many OIS incidents, the 147 gr is also a good load.
    Thanks again, Doc. Your expertise is appreciated.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    Doc,

How does the 147 grain Rememington Golden Saber compare to the 147 HST?

Feedback Score
    Does not expand as well and the Remington loadings appear to have more flash.

Feedback Score
    Doc,

In addition to the Remington Golden Saber ammo, I picked up some Federal ammo marked "Personal Defense" listing an 147 grain Hydra-Shok JHP. I assume this is not the same thing you are recommending. Any suggestions about where I can mail-order the HST ammo?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    If you have to worry about getting into cars at all then the Gold Dot or the DPX would be the better choice, although the 147gr HST ain't bad for a non-bonded bullet.

I've often thought that for unobstructed shots the HST does a better job than the GD due to huge expansion in all of the shootings that I have seen with that load, but I realize that I am starting to fall into the "preoccupation with infinitesimal increments" trap.
    I agree. I like the HST for it's amazing expansion and it's "damn close to bonded performance" through barriers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast