Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot and HST Questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Dont' forget ammunitiontogo.com which is in Bryan, Texas. They usually have the top end defensive ammo in stock, and if not they get fresh stock in pretty quickly.
    Ah, I had been looking on their website, but I guess they weren't in stock (or listed) then. Looks like they are now (here). Was going to order something from them anyways, so I guess that order got an additional item. Too bad I'm in TX and have to pay sales tax.

EDIT: From the ammo to go website:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ammunitiontogo.com
    HST Ammunition can only be sold to LE Agencies and individual officers (with proper ID). There will be no exceptions
    Last edited by rudy99; 01-18-11 at 13:23. Reason: added more information
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    Ah, I had been looking on their website, but I guess they weren't in stock (or listed) then. Looks like they are now (here). Was going to order something from them anyways, so I guess that order got an additional item. Too bad I'm in TX and have to pay sales tax.

EDIT: From the ammo to go website:
    I wonder what brought that on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    This last bit puzzles me.

I can see having issues with the Kel tec feeding (although mine feeds Rangers fine), but the fails-to-fire from the G19 is puzzling.

Striker spring worn? Firing pin channel gummed up? Old ass ammo with bad primers?
    I don't know! I have been having malfunctions with my G19 here lately - one out of every 500 rounds or so, but they tend to be feeding related - failures to extract or eject and never firing related. I am planning to get all the little pieces that go in the slide and rebuild it. I can assure you that the striker channel isn't gummed up because I detail stripped the slide and cleaned absolutely everything when all this foolishness started.

From early 2008 to late 2009, I put several thousand rounds downrange with this Glock without a hiccup. I was thinking of rebuilding the slide and the magazines - I know how to do it, but I'm wondering what pieces I need to get vice which pieces should not logically wear out (ie: I'm sure that getting springs makes sense, but do I need a new extractor itself?). I replaced the recoil spring at about 5000 rounds, and it's not due for another one for another few thousand rounds.
    Last edited by Leatherneck556; 01-18-11 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    There's some Glock Armorers on here, hopefully one will chime in.

Even though you already replaced it once, I would start by checking the recoil spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Absolutely no offense intended Leatherneck556, but maybe you should let a Glock armorer take a look at it. Although anything is possible, I would doubt anything has "worn out" in a Glock 19 with less than 10 thousand rounds through it.

I have seen parts that were istalled incorrectly cause problems. I have also seen defective parts from the factory, and operator error cause parts to break, and guns not function properly. Again, no offense, but it would be best to let a certified armorer have a look at it and not waste your money on parts you probably don't need, plus the time and frustration fooling around with it (especially if it is a carry gun). Good luck with it!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck556 View Post
    I had two failures to feed in the Sub2k and two failures to fire in the G19.
    This is interesting. I've carried the Winchester 147gr Ranger-T loading in my Glock 19 since about 2005, with no issues.

I can't tell you how it functioned in my Kel-Tec Sub2k, as the front sight broke off after the first 15 rds of ammunition fired through the new gun (115 gr FMJ). I got so pissed that when Kel-Tec's customer service sent me a replacement front sight, I installed it and sold off the carbine without firing another shot.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 01-19-11 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    SWAT Lt, I don't take any offense at what you said. In fact, I took your suggestion and took my G19 to a local gun store where they had a certified Glock armorer and had him check it over. He detail stripped it, and when he had pretty much decided he couldn't figure out what might be causing sporadic failures to extract, he started to put the extractor plunger back into its channel and it got hung up. That caught his attention and he pulled it out and stuck a swab down in there that came up with all kinds of carbon and debris all over it. He swabbed it out with Hoppes and got a lot of gunk out of there, and when the extractor plunger got put back in, it slid in there with no problem at all.

I pretty much guarantee that will fix the issue I had been having.

Now, to get this thread back on the topic of ammo as opposed to my weapon:

I say I had two failures to fire with the Rangers, but I actually just had one round that failed to fire two times. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to this stuff, but my guess is that it's just that one-in-a-thousand with a bad primer. Who knows? I've definitely never had any other failures to fire with that Glock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to hear it looks as if you've figured out what was wrong. As for the ammo, either of the three would be fine if they are accurate and reliable in your guns. I would probably lean towards the GD 124+P unless you'd like to stay away from +P, then I would go with the 147HST. In reality, there is probably little difference on target between the three.

Feedback Score
    I run 124g +P and standard vel. GDs because they perform well, work in my guns, and seem to be the easiest to find of the premium ammo types.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    Leatherneck556,

Most of the malfunctions I have corrected on Glock pistols involved a thorough detail cleaning. Especially if the operator has extensive trigger time with the pistol.

I like the Federal HST 124g +P round for 9mm pistols, but I haven't seen anyone shot with it yet. I don't have any practical experience with the HST 147g +P, but I have seen two people shot with the regular 147g Hydra-Shock round. None of the bullets opened up, but they did give the desired effect. St. Louis PD was carrying the Wincheser 147g HP load for a while and a few of the officers I spoke with liked the round. If I were primarily dealing with people in vehicles where I would have to shoot through auto glass, I would carry a heavier bullet, 124g or larger. The bonded bullets look like they may show some promise.

As many have said over the years, mind set and shot placement are the most important factors. Ammunition selection just gives a competent operator a slight edge.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-23-11 at 11:04.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast