Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Federal 9 mm 147gr. JHP Ammo, Navy Seals?

Feedback Score

Question: Federal 9 mm 147gr. JHP Ammo, Navy Seals?

Was hoping to hear some feedback on this ammo. Navy Seal claims aside, was curious if it was any good for something other than targets.

Any one used this ammo?
    If you do, is it good enough to use for CC / Self Defense?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=789188

American-made, jacketed hollow-point Ammo originally developed for and by SEAL teams. Precision loaded, suitable for competitive shooting. 147-gr. Jacketed hollow-point bullet. It's a hollow point that directs force for consistent mushroom expansion. Brass-cased, Boxer-primed, non-corrosive, reloadable. Muzzle Velocity: 1,000 F.P.S. Muzzle Energy: 326 ft. / lbs. 50 rds. / box.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It looks like the old Federal Hi-Shok, which in the 147gr had something to do with Crane NSW. Doc will definantly be able to elaborate

Feedback Score
    At that price, if your a "SHTF stash-type" Id get a bunch. I would not use it for carry, though.

It falls in the good for the price, but you can do better if your life depends on it catagory IMO.

However, I cant justify buying k's of rounds of pdx-1 or hst in 9mm, unless they start having overruns like they do with the .40.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I'll pick some up and give it a whirl..

Feedback Score
    This is NOT a Hydra-Shok or the original Winchester 147 gr OSM loading. It is the Federal 9MS standard JHP loading that was selected by Crane in October 1991 for the XM11 (Sig P228) NCIS contract. San Diego PD also used it. For the late 1980's/early 1990's, it was a good loading, however there are far better options available today--it does make a very accurate practice load...

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I think I am good to go on 9mm for a while now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I forgot whether it was the hauge or Geneva convention, but i believe it is the huge. The one that binds signers to use only certain small arm bullets. I know that we did not sign on, but we have followed the rules. So my question is. Why did they design a jhp? Im hoping the good doc could shed some light on this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I forgot whether it was the hauge or Geneva convention, but i believe it is the huge. The one that binds signers to use only certain small arm bullets. I know that we did not sign on, but we have followed the rules. So my question is. Why did they design a jhp? Im hoping the good doc could shed some light on this.
    Because the Hague convention deals with usage of SA ammo against combatants and NCIS interacts primarily with service members and in matters involving service members.

Think LE context as opposed to full-on .mil context...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^^^^^ thanks i did not see ncis or i would not have asked such a stupid question. I saw seals and thought it was used in a combat role not an LEO role.
    Thanks Blake g
    Last edited by jstone; 07-04-12 at 14:45. Reason: had to remove stupid smiley face

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mil LE, MCIOs, supporting contractors, and certain others have been using JHP ammunition in domestic ops for years.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast