Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSG-5 vs M&P .22

Feedback Score

GSG-5 vs M&P .22

I shopped some local gun shops before Christmas with the idea of buying an M&P .22 MOE, but couldn't find one. I did find an ATI GSG-5 SD, however, and having had an infatuation with the MP5 for so long, and knowing about the lawsuit and that the GSG-5 will no longer be manufactured, I figured it might become a collector's item. I am now having second thoughts, though, as it seems like an M&P .22 would be more practical.

So I am wondering what your thoughts are, will the ATI GSG become a collector's item? If so, I might put it in a safe and hold on to it. That is, if there seems like a good chance it will rise in value over the next 5 to 10 years. Otherwise, if I'm going to shoot a .22, I think it more practical to swap the GSG for an M&P .22.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT (got more info): I spoke to the gun shop and they'll exchange the GSG for another gun in stock. They have an M&P .22, but it is the version without the flash hider. They also have a "Colt" (don't think so), Ruger (not familiar with their .22 ???) and the HK 416. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and swap out the GSG, but am not so sure I want to go with the M&P they have in stock. I'm thinking about the 416. Anyone know good or bad on that one?

Thanks
    Last edited by Blinking Dog; 12-28-10 at 13:34. Reason: Got more info

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you're gonna use .22 as a training platform, then get 15-22, as it works exactly the same as a 5.56 AR, if you just want a .22 fun gun, then might as well get the GSG.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)

Just my personal opinion

but if your going to go with an AR platform .22LR, get something like the CMMG.

I own a GSG-5 and I've owned the Smith and Wesson MP-22 so I speak from personal experience. The Smith MP-22 is nice but its very proprietary. It is, what it is. If you build you own AR-22 based on something like the CMMG or Spikes uppers, it's built like a true AR and compatible with more rails and other accessories etc.

I just scored one of the CMMG M4 uppers for $349.99 new, and then it cost me around $250 to build my lower using a Spikes Tactical lower with a Magpul MOE trigger guard, pistol grip and stock.

For a rail, I was going to order the Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II but I just couldn't justify a $400 dollar rail on a .22LR plinker. I have a real DD rail on my 5.56mm AR but for a .22LR that is just for fun, no.

I found out that a company called Socom Gear makes Airsoft copies of the Daniel Defense rails under an official license from Daniel Defense. I picked one up and it looks JUST like my real one other then it doesn't have the hole for the gas tube to pass threw. No matter, it's a .22LR plinker.

I tried it out on a real stripped upper I had laying around and the included barrel nut IS mil-spec so it will fit on my CMMG .22LR upper!

Cost, $105 dollars shipped from California. Again it's an officially licensed product so while it is intended for Airsoft, it's not counterfeit.

Last edited by Roadblock; 12-28-10 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for those thoughts, Roadblock. However, I'm in the "oops I bought a __" situation, and if I want to get out of the GSG I have now I have to swap for something that is in stock at the gun store. Unfortunately, I have to go with something in stock, so I'm limited to the options I listed above.

Any thoughts on those?

Thanks. Next time I'll try to get less caught up in the Christmas spirit, and will think before buying a gun.

Feedback Score
    Eh, your GSG5 is fine. What do you have in it, $400? I have a GSG5-PK pre-lawsuit and it works well. No problems or FTF with high velocity ammo. I did get the bolt and screw upgrade online from www.mygsg5.com so you might want to do that. These guns aren't that much money... buy the M&P next year and make sure then it has the threaded flash hider and forget about the whole thing. Just keep the GSG5.

Jumping to something else that isn't exactly what you want makes a bad situation worse. Just hone-in on next year's purchase.
    Last edited by Ick; 12-28-10 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Eh, well true I guess.

The GSG-5 works good enough I suppose. I had a couple issues with mine but ATI took care of me quickly. I still have mine, I just don't use it much as I prefer the AR platform.

Shoot it and enjoy it I guess!

I would suggest doing some research on a dedicated CMMG or Spikes AR-22 though before you jump on the S&W MP-22. If I could do it over again, I would have never bought my MP-22, and I would have gone straight for the CMMG Evolution setup. The CMMG Evolutions are nice, good features etc, bunch of my friend have them so I finally broke down and ordered one too! Plus, if you already HAVE a real 5.56 AR, you can just buy the upper. Personally, I built a dedicated AR-22 rifle with a Spikes lower all Magpul'ed out and a CMMG upper like I said above.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 12-28-10 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    I second the motion on the CMMG upper. If I had to do it all over again I probably should have just gone that route. I did end up with a fun GSG5 so I have no regrets. The GSG5 was worth the $400 I paid for it.
    Last edited by Ick; 12-28-10 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im pretty sure that the HK 416 u mentioned is the exact gun as the colt just in a different shell. Both are made by Walther and imported by Umarex IIRC.....Ive never owned either so i cant comment on the quality but if you didnt like the colt then i wouldnt get the HK.....Personally, i think the sig 522 is the best tactical 22 hands down!!! It is made by Sig and not farmed out to another company like most of the others (MP 22 is made by S&W also). My 522 is my trainer for the AR platform as well as a fun gun. I know people will say "you should have an actual AR for an AR trainer" which does make sense BUT the 522 has a very similar setup and trigger time is trigger time. I have my 522 setup so my red dot is the same height compared to my cheekweld as it is on my real AR (the dot is mounted slightly higher on my AR). Since training on the sig ive already notice huge improvements on my AR like a steady hold, maneuvering, faster target acquisition and just overall comfortability. It also has an advantage over most in weight as in it ways more and balances more like my AR than the actual AR 22's bc it has an aluminum upper and not a plastic one. Cleaning is a breeze bc it separates just like an AR and the bolt pulls right out the back just like an AR where others dont. Its built like a tank, uses very common black dog mags and has literally ate everything ive put thru it which is mainly cheap winchester 333 packs and federal 550 packs. In fact im in the process of an endurance test right now and i have 1,250 rounds through it w/o cleaning or lubing whatsoever and have had no jams besides 3 dud rounds that i tried multiple times to fire and wouldnt. Anyway, its a wonderful gun and Budsgunshop.com has it for $375 shipped and tax free. (even comes in a blue plastic latch sig case)
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 01-11-11 at 02:33.

Feedback Score
    Gotta say I love my GSG-5. Works very well and is a blast to shoot.
    Just clean the factory grease out of the mags and spray em with dry teflon and go to shooting. That seems to be one of the biggest issues is with dirty mags. Mags aint a place for grease!
    I have the carbine version and plan very soon to SBR it with the 9" barrel, then a can to follow.
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

Feedback Score
    I have a Sig 522 Classic , a 'Colt' M4 Umarex and a GSG-5 pre lawsuit.
    I like the GSG and the Sig much more than the Colt. Between GSG and Sig I like the Sig the most. If I were in your position I would only trade for a Sig 522 but there is nothing wrong with a GSG. Stay away from the Colt.
    Last edited by Blastard; 01-16-11 at 20:47.
    John 14:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast