Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question About Rifle Ammunition

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Question About Rifle Ammunition

I could fit what I know about 3 Gun into a thimble. I did a search and tried to find some answers but didn't get what I wanted.

What are some examples of 5.56mm / .223 ammunition commonly used in matches?

Feedback Score
    I run ACTS not 3-gun, but similar overall.

Generally no steel core ammo since there will probably be steel targets at some point. I usually run either whatever cheap Russian stuff I can find, or XM193. Some ranges may not allow steel jacketed (or even case) ammo so check the specific venue to be sure.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    I could fit what I know about 3 Gun into a thimble. I did a search and tried to find some answers but didn't get what I wanted.

What are some examples of 5.56mm / .223 ammunition commonly used in matches?
    3gun in vague. Most 3gun is outlaw. USPSA 3gun/multigun has power factor at minimum power factor of 150 and major power factor of 320.
    Power factor is measured by bullet weight x velocity / 1000.
    Like USPSA matches the Major vs. Minor is a scoring issue. Two Alpha hits by Minor or Major are equal. It's when you get into the Bravo, Charlie and Delta hits where the Minor power factor starts to hurt.

Outlaw 3gun pretty much anything goes as long as it's not tracer, incendiary or armor piercing. In some Outlaw 3gun matches the Major power factor means you don't have to shoot the targets as much. For instance. They may use IPSC Metric targets and a Minor power factor shooter will have to have at least 2 hits in the Alpha, Bravo or Charlie zones to neutralize the target or they'll be charged with a miss. With Major power factor you only will need a single hit in those zones to have neutralized the target.

Normally I just shoot factory 55gr FMJ (preferrably blue box Black Hills). Sometimes for matches where there's a lot of 200yd+ shots I'll shoot 75gr or 77gr.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Interesting, I had some type of assumption that heavier match ammo was used a lot more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Inside of 200 yards I shoot AE 55GR FMJ.

200+ I shoot Federal or Black Hills 77GR.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Do most rifles typically have 1/7 or 1/8 barrels?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Do most rifles typically have 1/7 or 1/8 barrels?
    I'd say the vast majority of barrels are 1x7, or 1x9, 1x8 is a little more rare. Very rarely do I see people use 1x12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I usually run hand loaded 55gr inside 200-300 yards, 69gr if I have to go longer or know there will be some tight long shots. If I'm at a hoser match with no steel, I use tula 62gr

I run 1/7 or 1/9 depending on which division I'm shooting
    Last edited by Supermoto; 01-07-11 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    So it is a safe generalization to say that these rifles have very high quality barrels but may get cheap range ammo run through them quite a bit?

(I know I sound like a tard but I'm having a cognitive disconnect between the excellent barrels on these rifles and the info that guys are running Wolf, Tula, and AE...)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    So it is a safe generalization to say that these rifles have very high quality barrels but may get cheap range ammo run through them quite a bit?

(I know I sound like a tard but I'm having a cognitive disconnect between the excellent barrels on these rifles and the info that guys are running Wolf, Tula, and AE...)
    Kinda. Many competitors buy way more barrel then they actually need. That said the ones who are shooting handloads or true match grade ammo will benefit from the really good barrels. Some guys are all about getting a barrel that shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds but then are limited by the ammo they are shooting which does at best some times 1.5" groups. It's the same in everything people buying gear better than their skill level.
    Because my 1x8 BCM SS410 barrel is out getting dimpled by Marvin my current barrel on my 3gun rifle is my 16" midlength chrome lined 1x7 barrel. It shoots great with both barrels.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast