Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-gun pistol selection considerations

Feedback Score

3-gun pistol selection considerations

As a newb I'm curious to hear from some of the vets as to what kinds of things one should take into account when selecting a pistol for 3-gun comp in the tac irons/optics divisions. I'm not looking to go out and buy a gun specifically for 3-gun, I'm more looking at how to decide which member of my collection to bring.

Usually I prefer to run a 1911 in CDP or SS for pistol only games, but maybe that puts me at a capacity disadvantage. I have a 9 and a 40 for double stack polymer guns in my stable aswell, but then its a question of 40 to knock over steel or 9 low recoil (and cost).

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    9mm double stack polymer of choice. Steel goes down fine with American Eagle 147 grn's.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you're okay with minor PF on pistol, go with the 9mm. I've shot some real soft loaded 124gr loads (probably 127pf, real close to the PF floor) and factory 115gr loads (135+ pf), never had a problem with steel unless it was calibrated too heavy or I just didn't hit it in the right place.

The little 3-gun I've been able to shoot I shot in Tactical division (16" AR with Aimpoint Micro). I ran the same Glock 34 or Glock 17 I run in USPSA Production division, just load the magazines to 15 or 16 rounds. Eventually I'll get a few Arredondo extensions, but it's not a problem with the local matches.

One of my friends I've shot with runs a 1911 with 10 rounders and hasn't has a problem here at local matches either.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    Cheaper route: Glock or M&P 9mms if you want a plastic frame, CZ SP01 if you want a steel frame.

More $$ to burn? 9mm STI/SV or CZ Custom Shop 9mm Tactical Sport.

Yet more $$ to burn? .38 Super STI/SV

But in any event, you want a hi cap 9. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, more BBs. .40s are competitive but not the best choice. The occasional difficult piece of steel does not outweigh the significant advantages of 9mm in outlaw 3 gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly neal View Post
    Cheaper route: Glock or M&P 9mms if you want a plastic frame, CZ SP01 if you want a steel frame.

More $$ to burn? 9mm STI/SV
    or CZ Custom Shop 9mm Tactical Sport.

Yet more $$ to burn? .38 Super STI/SV

But in any event, you want a hi cap 9. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, more BBs. .40s are competitive but not the best choice. The occasional difficult piece of steel does not outweigh the significant advantages of 9mm in outlaw 3 gun.
    Yup, I'm headed that route as soon as I get the tip of this barrel chopped off:

I can't imagine anyone shooting .38 Super outside of open without going broke and/or crazy from losing all of their brass.
    Last edited by HK_Shooter_03; 12-28-10 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambluemax View Post
    As a newb I'm curious to hear from some of the vets as to what kinds of things one should take into account when selecting a pistol for 3-gun comp in the tac irons/optics divisions. I'm not looking to go out and buy a gun specifically for 3-gun, I'm more looking at how to decide which member of my collection to bring.

Usually I prefer to run a 1911 in CDP or SS for pistol only games, but maybe that puts me at a capacity disadvantage. I have a 9 and a 40 for double stack polymer guns in my stable aswell, but then its a question of 40 to knock over steel or 9 low recoil (and cost).

Thoughts?
    For Tactical class I use my USPSA limited gun a STI Edge in 40sw. It works well for me. At outlaw matches a 9mm would be nice but I can't afford two limited guns.

For open class I got this pistol. I have only used it in one match so far so I am still getting used to it. It was not a three gun match just a pistol match. But so far I like it.
    A Caspian in 38 super comp.

You definitely need a high cap pistol for three gun. I started using my single stack Wilson that I used for work and it is a major disadvantage.

Here is a good video on how to select a pistol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgzl...e_gdata_player
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 12-28-10 at 17:40.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    As AKPoPo says, you'll be at a SEVERE disadvantage with a single stack gun. Plus, in 3 gun you have to consider how you'll wear all the needed gear. It's hard to find space for all the single stack mags you'll need, and also the AR mag(s), and the shotgun ammo.

If the match you're competing in has major/minor scoring, advantage goes to .40 over 9mm.

Major PF (.40)
    A =5 points
    B/C = 4
    D = 2

Minor PF (9mm)
    A 5
    B/C 3
    D 1

.40 will also knock steel over better/faster/more noticeably than 9mm, esp when you have marginal hits.

I don't shoot 3 gun much anymore, but for Tactical class I've been very happy with my SVI in .40

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The best pistol for 3 gun is a 2011 in 9mm period. There are only a couple good/big USPSA matches that give you an advantage for using major PF. Since your shooting all A's in USPSA anyways PF really don't matter anyway does it?

If you can't afford a $2000 gun the next nest choice is a Glock 34. They are everywhere used if you want to save a few bucks. The go fast parts are plentiful and anybody can work on them.

Choice number 3 would be a M&P9 5". Just as good as the Glock just not as many aftermarket goodies to be had. Especially if you are looking for used stuff to save a buck.

The .40 cal versions of those 3 guns would be choice #4, 5, & 6 respectively.

Here is a video I found on setting up your pistol for 3 gun.
    Last edited by Jesse Tischauser; 12-29-10 at 06:23.

Feedback Score
    OK, so basically anything that fits in USPSA limited is GTG in 3 gun...no other restrictions or considerations to worry about? The closer you are to a full blown limited gun, the better off you are gear wise?

Right now I'm working with either a 4" XD9 or a G23. I've thought about building my XD into a "3-gun rig" (magwell, sights, maybe trigger job) if not perhaps buying a g34/35 in the future. But I'm looking to walk before I run in 3gun, especially before spending a bunch of money on a specialized set up.

I guess I should definitly leave the 1911's at home though eh...
    Last edited by ambluemax; 12-29-10 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambluemax View Post
    OK, so basically anything that fits in USPSA limited is GTG in 3 gun...no other restrictions or considerations to worry about? The closer you are to a full blown limited gun, the better off you are gear wise?

Right now I'm working with either a 4" XD9 or a G23. I've thought about building my XD into a "3-gun rig" (magwell, sights, maybe trigger job) if not perhaps buying a g34/35 in the future. But I'm looking to walk before I run in 3gun, especially before spending a bunch of money on a specialized set up.

I guess I should definitly leave the 1911's at home though eh...
    Don't dump money into anything that isn't a 2011.

Save it for that instead. Until you can shoot to the capabilities of the weapon, there's no reason to upgrade it and in this case, an upgrade is another gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast