Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

I was always interested in the Scout Rifle concept. I see that Ruger is introducing a scout rifle:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...fle/index.html

M77-GS
    .308 Win.
    5rd or 10rd mag (photo appears to show 20rd)
    16.50" barrel
    length 38.00" - 39.50"
    Length of pull 12.75" - 14.25"
    Wgt 7.00 lbs.
    MSRP $995.00 (Still high in cost, but a lot better than Steyr)

Any one have experience with the M77 rifles to tell how their scout rifle might hold up?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting. Too bad the rear iron sight appears to eliminate the ability to mount a conventional scope. I realize this is a "scout" and must therefore have a forward-mounted scope, but I'd prefer a low-power variable.

Feedback Score

Ruger/Gunsite Scout Rifle - gunwriters' review

Ruger has released their new Gunsite Scout Rifle. The rifle was designed in conjunction with Gunsite and based off Jeff Cooper's concept of what a scout rifle should entail.

Colonel Cooper's idea calls for a rifle of light weight, quick-handling, and chambering in a cartridge suitable for both fighting and hunting. This new offering - the latest evolution of the M77 - is highly adaptable to almost any conceivable role, featuring a 1913 Picatinny rail positioned adequately for either a forward-placed scout scope or any number of holographic or red-dot optics. Further, Ruger saw fit to make standard fixed iron sights such as those found on the Mini-14 and Mini-30. Removal of the rear sight will allow for use of a traditional hunting scope through Ruger's proprietary integral mounts. Notable also is the inclusion of the AC-556 styled flash suppressor (with muzzle threaded to 5/8x24 tpi) detachable in the event one wishes to affix a sound suppressor.

Taking into account the varying builds of the individual, the rifle's length of pull is adjustable by means of three spacers. The stock butt pad is soft and highly recoil absorbent. With a 16.5-in. barrel and chambered for .308 Win. my initial impression was that the rifle would give a brisk kick; that wasn't the case. To my surprise, recoil was negligible and led me to believe that the butt pad is highly shock dampening. The stock is black laminate and has a substantial feel not found in rifles fitted with polymer offerings.

The rifle feeds from either a 5-round or 10-round single stack detachable box magazine, which comes from the Accuracy International and Badger designs. Ruger opted for the single stack over the double with an aim of improving reliability. Releasing the magazine is accomplished through a lever similar to that of the Mini-14/30.

I had the privilege of being invited to a gunwriters' review by Ruger for the unveiling at Gunsite. Needless to say I jumped at the chance. We spent three days at Gunsite - one for the introduction and initial range session, the second spent on our choice of shooting courses; the Scrambler was a blast. Temperatures were in the upper 50s during the day and the nights were in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

At the introduction we also received a Carhartt jacket embroidered with the Ruger label and a Ruger/Gunsite Scout Rifle shirt.

The target is from Ruger's 50-yard testing of the rifle. After 4,170 rounds of Winchester Power Point 180-gr, an accuracy test was performed with 30 rounds and a Leupold scout scope. The result is this following group.

Feedback Score
    The rifle I was given for review. Mine was fitted with a Burris 2.75 Scout Scope and a Ching Safari Sling. Other participants used rifles in varying configurations, including iron sites, conventional scope setups, and holographic red dots. In excess of twenty rifles were provided by Ruger. Overall length is 38.00 in - 39.50 in. depending on spacers used. Weight is 7 lbs.

The distinctive AC-556 type flash suppressor. The rifling is 6 grooves in 1/10-in. RH twist.

Mag well and trigger group are a single unit. Visible here is the lever magazine release.

Gunsite's logo is prominently displayed on the bottom of the pistol grip.

10-rd metal magazine.

5-rd metal magazine.

The single column magazine.

Loaded.

Feedback Score
    The Gunsite instructors and range officers. Left to right: Il Ling New, Ed Head, Chris Weare, LaMonte Kintsel. All were very helpful. On the first day they all came across as hardasses, but by the third day they were easy to get along with.

One of two racks of rifles.

Il Ling New demonstrating the high ready position and handling of the rifle.

Il Ling instructing on the kneeling position.

And the sitting position.

She knows her rifles.

First group on the firing line, shooter's choice kneeling or sitting.

Jeff Quinn putting the Scout rifle through its paces, offhand.

Mark Gurney from Ruger (at right) and me at left. High ready.

Feedback Score
    Another gunwriter running the Scrambler.

Another stage.

The Scout rifle, fitted with the 10-rd magazine.

And the 5-rd.

Left to right: Michael Bane, myself, and Jeff Quinn.

Three days at Gunsite. Lots of new stuff. Lots of good memorable times. I met a lot of good gun people, shot some new firearms, burned a lot of free ammo - what could be better?

Thanks to Ruger and Gunsite for the opportunity to participate and the experience. It was a blast.

Feedback Score
    According to the manual, the rear sight is removable & you can you standard Ruger scope rings. However, you would lose the backup iron sights. Unless if there is some way to place a rear sight on the forward rail, but it looks like the rail is too high for that. Or remove the rail & replace with a rear sight using the rail mounting points.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    agree with the scope rail, it should be on the receiver with the sights higher, etc as mentioned. I would get one in a heartbeat if this was fixed.

But, for a modern iron sighted mag feed stick, not bad. I would imagine that someone could make a rail for the receiver and incorporate a rear sight to be in line with the front and allow for scope mounting at a reasonable height.
    I approached Remington not long after I made my deer getter and they could care less about making something of the sort. Good on Ruger for the innovation, hopefully others will follow suite.

An idea would be to reverse a Larue EER mount on that rail and use a regular scope?

My brain child, should have the mag system this year(Manners, uses AICS mags)

Stock SPS in .308, barrel cut to 18"
    Holland quick discharge brake(feels like a .223
    NECG banded front sight, gold bar
    Ashley rear with Leupold QRW rings and 1.5-5 PR scope(changing that out as it doesn't work well in low light(looking at the NF 1-4 CQB or Trijicon 1-4 TR24G)

MOA with match ammo

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Again, good on Ruger for thinking out of the box, I'm sure the others will wake up at some point. Someone already makes a Ruger to Weaver rear base for Ruger rifles, add an integral rear sight and you're in business----Ruger--you know you need to make it!

Not sure if the spacing would be correct on this puppy
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...__CARBINE_BASE

Ideas for the meantime. Don't know how they would match up. If you used the Warne quick release Ruger rings, the Ruger receiver mount rear iron could be "stored" on the forward rail. The Warne back up might be the correct height to be mounted on the forwrd rail, many ideas, time will work this out.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._BASE_QD_RINGS

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ER_BACKUP_BASE

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...RECEIVER_SIGHT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...uct/PEEP_SIGHT
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 10-24-11 at 17:12.

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast