Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    Lighter weight is alway appealing . . . but . . . I like the 7 lbs range as light enough. I spend a lot more time on the range than humping over ridgelines. I appreciate what looks me to me like a nice med weight barrel. Some of my friends with mountain rifles spend so much time waiting for their skinny barrels to cool vs shooting.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Lighter weight is alway appealing . . . but . . . I like the 7 lbs range as light enough. I spend a lot more time on the range than humping over ridgelines. I appreciate what looks me to me like a nice med weight barrel. Some of my friends with mountain rifles spend so much time waiting for their skinny barrels to cool vs shooting.
    I understand. I want to hunt with it, and at my age, rifles get heavy after a couple hours.

Hopefully Ruger or someone comes out with a plastic stock version so we can both get what we want.

Feedback Score

NEW RUGER SCOUT

Fellows,
    Had to tell somebody about my new acquisition. Walked in my local shop today and they had just gotten their first Gunsite Scout Rifle in. My friend behind the counter handed it to me and I bought it within 3 minutes without ever putting it down. I knew when I saw the announcement a week or so ago that I was going to want one of these things really badly. I was so impressed with the balance, the appearance, and just the over-all "package". I've just come in with it and haven't even reopened the box. As soon as I get some decent glass on it, I will give you a review. But the weather here is not going to cooperate at all for several days. The price was $789 and several of the fellows in this shop are ordering a scout for themselves. Just had to let somebody know about my new toy.

Skip

merge from his announcement, mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    I've had one of these rifles for a few years now.

Well ok, not exactly the same thing, but it has a flash hider, good irons, is chambered in 7.62 NATO, and can mount a bayonet.

Best of all, it cost me $250.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I've had one of these rifles for a few years now.

Well ok, not exactly the same thing, but it has a flash hider, good irons, is chambered in 7.62 NATO, and can mount a bayonet.

Best of all, it cost me $250.
    Spanish FR8? Those were $125 about 20 years ago. I wish I had bought a couple at that price.

My buddy modded one nicely adding a scout base and re parked it. Same concept.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have never liked EER (Extended Eye Relief) scopes as I've found them to be slow to use with limited eye relief and blocked too much of the target. Compared to EER scopes, for fast moving targets, I prefer a properly mounted standard scope of 4x or less.

The exit pupil may be large enough on a good EER but the distance from the eye effectively reduces it's diameter. As much as I've admired JEff Cooper, I could never see the attraction of the EER.

I've used the 308 and other calibers in a 16 inch barrel. In regards to the 308, 16 inches is too short and produces too much muzzle blast and concussion for my tastes. It also starts reducing the ballistics of the 308 to the point that one might well consider using the 7.62x39 or the 300 Blackout in it's stead. A 20 inch barrel would be a better length although I find the 18 inch length to be handy without the sharp blast of the 16 inch barrel.

The magazine used is too long for it's capacity. A ten round magazine should protrude no further than that of the British Enfield and a five round magazine should fit flush, or nearly so. Considering the size of the AICS ten rounder, twenty rounds could be had in a double stack double feed magazine for little additional length.

As for the "fetish" for an M14 magazine, it's easy to explain. It's a rugged, proven design and quality magazines are in current production. Five round M14 magazines would fit flush, or nearly so. There are poor quality knock-offs as any M14 rifleman knows, just as there are poor quality AR mags, but they are easily identified and can be avoided.

For this application, I like the "plywood stock". Although a one piece walnut stock works well enough and looks good, the laminate stock is much more rugged and stable. It's also easier to machine.

Overall, I like the idea of a bolt action Scout Rifle. As well executed the Ruger is, for myself, the barrel length and inefficient magazine design are deal breakers
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-09-11 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticlightfighter View Post
    Spanish FR8? Those were $125 about 20 years ago. I wish I had bought a couple at that price.

My buddy modded one nicely adding a scout base and re parked it. Same concept.
    Yes, I found one at a gun shop in the C&R rack. It smells a little funky, so I'm on the lookout for a way to fit it with some polymer furniture. I'd love to do a cheap scout mount, too.

Does your buddy have any photos or a writeup on what he did to his?

Feedback Score
    I would have preferred a shorter mag for a less tactical look. On another forum, some mentioned this company that makes shorter AICS compatible mags:

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/index.html

There is a photo of their 10rd mag next to an AICS 10rd mag here:
    http://www.tacticalworks.com/Alpha-T...-Magazine.html

Any one know any thing about this mag? Only bad thing is that it cost about the same as AICS.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    I would have preferred a shorter mag for a less tactical look. On another forum, some mentioned this company that makes shorter AICS compatible mags:

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/index.html

There is a photo of their 10rd mag next to an AICS 10rd mag here:
    http://www.tacticalworks.com/Alpha-T...-Magazine.html

Any one know any thing about this mag? Only bad thing is that it cost about the same as AICS.
    They have a 5 rounds mags too.

So the links of the mags you shared will work too? It is nice to have options.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 01-09-11 at 19:14.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I will agree with you on the EER scope thing, I dont care for it either. I will disagree with you on a 16 inch barrel being like a 7.62x39. The two rifles pictured below shoot much faster then any 7.62x39. The Savage will shoot sub moa out to 600yds I know for sure, and remmy is sub moa at 200yds and probably farther. I dont many 7.62x39's that will push a 130gr bullet to 3050fps, or a 175gr to 2620fps.[IMG][/IMG]

Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast