Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    They have a 5 rounds may too.

So the links of the mags you shared will work too? It is nice to have options.
    According to their website, it appears to work:
    "The Alpha magazine is designed to fit and function with any DBM that was designed to accept AICS type magazines unless otherwise stated."

However, I no 1st-hand experience with the company or their mag.

Feedback Score
    Is there something about G3, M14, or FAL mags that prevents their use in bolt action rifles? Are there 10 round G3/M14/FAL mags? I ask because while I like that the practical bolt gun concept is becoming more popular, seeing the $60+ price tag per mag makes me cringe.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For those of you who have handled and contemplated one in person...

Are there obvious places where weight could be shed, via machining or other work? A wood stock could be bored or recontoured, were one ambitious.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Is there something about G3, M14, or FAL mags that prevents their use in bolt action rifles? Are there 10 round G3/M14/FAL mags? I ask because while I like that the practical bolt gun concept is becoming more popular, seeing the $60+ price tag per mag makes me cringe.

-B
    As states earlier in the thread, Ruger considered the M14 mag, but ran into trouble with variations in mags build by different companies.

There are 5rd & 10rd Mags for the G3, FAL & M14(M1A).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    For those of you who have handled and contemplated one in person...

Are there obvious places where weight could be shed, via machining or other work? A wood stock could be bored or recontoured, were one ambitious.
    I just don't have a problem with the weight on mine. I think the excellent(to me) balance helps to negate any perceived weight problem. Having said that,while I really like the laminated stock,it won't be long before someone offers a synthetic stock that shaves a few ounces. I also would not want to give up the medium contour barrel for a slightly lighter tube. I pretty much like it just like it is.

Skip

Feedback Score
    Skip,

Word of warning - you make another post without posting photos, I will use my power as a forum member to buy my own rifle & post photos. Reminder - last warning!

Good read on scout rifle history:
    http://eclecticbreakfast.blogspot.co...ut-rifles.html

Unfortunately, through this same blogger, I learned that Eric Ching passed away in 2007:
    http://eclecticbreakfast.blogspot.co...urrounded.html
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 01-10-11 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    Skip,

Word of warning - you make another post without posting photos, I will use my power as a forum member to buy my own rifle & post photos. Reminder - last warning!

Good read on scout rifle history:
    http://eclecticbreakfast.blogspot.co...ut-rifles.html

Unfortunately, through this same blogger, I learned that Eric Ching passed away in 2007:
    http://eclecticbreakfast.blogspot.co...urrounded.html
    Warning duely aknowledged
    Haven't posted pictures here before,I don't think,but I'll try.
    To tell the truth though,until glass and sling are added,if you've seen one picture you've seen them all. Kinda like posting "stock" Glock pictures.
    BTW, thanks for the links.

Skip

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Time will tell with these aftermarket magazines. Regardless if they are offered with a factory rifle, they are copies of the AI magazine.

Tha AI magazine has been proven over time to work in adverse conditions.

My experience with copies of the original isn't positive and would gladly spend the extra coin to get something I know works verses one that might.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Fellows,
    Thought I'd give you some photos for comparison size-wise. That's about all the photos are good for as I'm using a very early digital camera and I know about as much about photography and computers as I do brain surgery. Nevertheless, thought the comparison pix might be useful. Comparison pieces are Colt 6920, Colt Sporter Match HBAR, and Mossberg 590A1.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK let me preface all of this by saying that I am very familiar with Jeff Coopers Scout concept after first hearing about it in G&A back in the 80s. I also remember how G&A ran their scout against something like an AK or a FAL in a timed course of fire and it fell flat on it's face compaired to the semis. When I first saw the thread when it first started I though "Ok, what exactly will this rifle do better than an M1A Scout or 18" FAL?" I held off on posting here until I had a better understanding of things. Now I am realizing the true beauty of this rifle.

I really think I am really getting into it now. I love the fact that they went with a shorter barrel on this rifle AND while it comes with a cheesy Mini-14'ish FH the gem here is the factory threaded barrel in a standard thread pitch. This gun BEGS for a good, inexpensive 30cal suppressor (YHM perhaps). I have to admit, the laminated stock looks great, and there is just something about shooting a bolt gun with a wood stock. Also I think the adjustable length of pull is excellent. Finally I really appreciate the decision to use AI magazines. Yes they are not cheap, but for feeding a bolt action .308 there really isn't any other option as far as I am concerned.

The only things I am concerned about are: The twist rate for one. Perhaps it is mentioned in the thread and I missed it. Please tell me that with the 16" barrel they went with a 1 in 10? (ETA: found it, 1 in 10...awesome!) If it can't shoot M118LR it is a non-starter for me, and the ability to shoot 220gr subsonic handloads is very appealing. The realistic mechanical accuracy attainable from the rifle. Is 600 yards+ realistic with this rifle and something like a NF 2.5-10x32? The durability of the trigger mechanism and of the rifle it's self.

I think this gun will fill a void in my safe. I will probably pick one up once the price stabilizes and there is some more user feedback available.

ETA: I think the NF 2.5-10x32 with the Velocity Ballistic reticle would be tits on this little rifle, maybe even with a good piggyback RDS.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 01-10-11 at 11:12.

Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast