Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting. Too bad the rear iron sight appears to eliminate the ability to mount a conventional scope. I realize this is a "scout" and must therefore have a forward-mounted scope, but I'd prefer a low-power variable.
    Leupold makes a 1.4-4 power variable scout scope now rob_s if that makes a difference for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    I was always interested in the Scout Rifle concept. I see that Ruger is introducing a scout rifle:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...fle/index.html
    This is begging for a T1.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Call me when Savage sells the same rifle with a synthetic stock and a magwell to take M1A mags for half the money. I'd also consider a Howa 1500, the Brownell's catalog and a well-equipped workshop as a consolation prize.

Feedback Score
    Maybe 10 years behind the demand curve, but good entry nonetheless. AI mags are a winner. Lam stock, good. Actually I prefer that, to make it easier to move the swivels to port side. Hopefully the stock is properly fitted. I like mark5.56's sights better. Threaded with flash hider, very nice. Thanks to XS for prototyping the full length rail, although that should have been done already. Should have been 18.5".
    O.K., down to brass tacks. If it's under $750, it'll be a huge winner. But I think they'll charge at least $100 more, and for that people will think hard about a semi-auto.

also see: http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010...out-rifle.html
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana71 View Post
    Call me when Savage sells the same rifle with a synthetic stock and a magwell to take M1A mags for half the money. I'd also consider a Howa 1500, the Brownell's catalog and a well-equipped workshop as a consolation prize.
    The Savage 110 series can't make it through a Gunsite 270 without parts breakage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    Maybe 10 years behind the demand curve, but good entry nonetheless. AI mags are a winner. Lam stock, good. Actually I prefer that, to make it easier to move the swivels to port side. Hopefully the stock is properly fitted. I like mark5.56's sights better. Threaded with flash hider, very nice. Thanks to XS for prototyping the full length rail, although that should have been done already. Should have been 18.5".
    O.K., down to brass tacks. If it's under $750, it'll be a huge winner. But I think they'll charge at least $100 more, and for that people will think hard about a semi-auto.

also see: http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010...out-rifle.html
    18.5" would have been nice but 16" will serve the average hunter or sportsman just fine.

Retail is listed at $995 and the guns might sell for the mid-$800's initially. But I'll bet they'll go for $750 once the newness wears off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Savage 110 series can't make it through a Gunsite 270 without parts breakage.
    Oh. I hadn't seen anything on that. Where can I see something on that?

Feedback Score

Howa mag option

Howa has bottom metal and magazines available from Howa 800-553-4229. I have no idea about them, only the information.

I'm not a Ruger fan, but the compact versions are nice in 7-08 and these look nice as well. 7#'s I like also.

Something I don't like= "glass reinforced nylon trigger guard and magazine well"
    Last edited by rdc0000; 12-30-10 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker722 View Post
    Okay...I like the idea of the rifle, (I have a scout rifle to begin with), but why do I feel as though I just read the latest edition of "Guns and Ammo"? Could you be a little more detailed on your thoughts of the rifle, likes-dislikes, construction, etc? How well did it shoot? Was a chrono available?

I am envious of you getting to do that, but good grief, don't make it sound like you are on the payroll.
    My apologizes, we had to keep a lid on it till we got the OK, got the e-mail last night and tried to put it together asap.

To be honest I didn't think I would like it much. A short barreled 308 + bolt action + laminated stock are not really my tastes in rifles. But after the classroom time with Ruger and Ed Head on the process and progress that went into designing the Gunsite Scout, their purpose based of Coopers intent, they had my interest. After some range time and then running the Scrambler I was sold. We all(well not all) look at an AR or AK(self-loading) as our headin-for-th-hills arm, I know I do or did but the simplicity and reliability of a bolt gun make much more sense. I know any firearm can malfunction and needs maintenance but a gas driven firearm is more complicated(internally) and needs more care, a bolt gun just needs less.

That said, we didn't have bench time to wring out accuracy. Nor was there a chrono, no time anyway.

As for the laminated stock, I admit I'm probably a poly freak, but a solid stock makes a much better weapon than hollow plastic.

With the adjustable length spacers and whatever that buttpad is made out of it sure didn't feel like you were shooting a snub-nose 308 bolt gun. I actually enjoyed shooting it and didn't want to stop burning up the ammo when they called it quits. Being a short barrel handy rifle it move through the Scrambler with ease, enjoyed it so much ran back and got in line to run it again.

Hope this is a little more info.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I saw this rifle and thought . . .

One mans scout rifle is another mans rebirth of a ranch rifle.

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast