Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th View Post
    If you go with a either of the newer Leupold Variable IER scopes you will end up with the rear of the scope sitting .5-1" in front of the rear sight. I consider them a conventional scope with longer eye relief rather than a scout scope. The VXR gives you a day light visible dot, and both mount in low rings giving you an optic that sits close to the bore. Another plus is that you save money on not having to buy the XS rail.

At this point I have experience with the original Leupold 2x, the newer Leupold 2.5, Burris 2-7 (pistol scope), and the VXR 1.5-5 IER on several different scout rifles. I also have been hands on a bit with the regular IER 1.25-4 on a friends rifle and a nikon pistol variable on another friends rifle. If weight is an option then the non-illuminated IER is my choice and if illumination is wanted the VXR. In fact the VXR might be my all around favorite scope period.

One thing I will say is that driving this gun is different from say driving a Remington 700 and way different from driving a semi-auto, and that is where I think a lot of the criticism of accuracy and a "rough" action come from. I have been hands on with around 10 so far and none of them have had a rough action. Are they as smooth as a stock 700 for instance, nope, but then again neither is a true mauser action or even most Winchester Mdl 70 actions that I have intereacted with that haven't been cycled a bunch.

My rifle so far has been reliable and accurate with the exception that there is a bit to much tension on the extractor, which sometimes makes it hard to chamber a round especially if you aren't treating it like a mauser style action. The easiest solution would be to alleviate some of the tension, but I am waiting to see if it loosens up on its own.

Accuracy to date has been around 2 moa from the prone off a pack with mil-surp. I haven't shot it with anything more accurate yet as I am just getting rounds through it test it and get familiar with it, and will wait to sight it in with more expensive ammunition before hunting season next year.
    The 2 scopes I'm eyeing right now are the Tr21 and Leupold VXii variable scout. Looked at the vxr scout but the Tr21 is suppose to be lighter, shorter and I like the tritium/fiber. I just don't know about the eye relief because i can't find one around here. It supposedly has a much longer eye relief than what trijicon states it has which leads me to believe it may be closer to an IER scope.

The vxr is a fine scope because i have Patrol version which I really like but i think in this case I would be happier with the TR21 if it will work. It's funny because when I bought the VXR patrol, the decision was between it and a TR24. Weight and cost were the deciding factors.

Anyways, will probably go with the VXii if i don't hear any feedback on tr21 because the only thing it lacks is the illuminated dot. Would like an illuminated dot as long as i don't put on too much weight because of it. Someone else i know got a gsr and he just bought hi-lux 2x7 scout so will probably wait for it before i make a purchase

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The weight of the VXR is why I say might be my favorite. I currently have both a 2.5 fixed, which strangely enough is about the same weight as the non-illuminated variable, and the VXR mounted and sighted in on my rifle. The idea being I can switch back and forth between each scope on the same outing to test if the weight of the VXR is a deal breaker for me.

I can't help with the TR scopes. I was thinking about one for an AR, but after a buddy had to send to nib back because they wouldn't track during sight in I decided to leave them alone. He ended up requesting another scope from SWFA where he bought it so who knows third time could have been the charge. Granted it is a sample of two, but I have never had an issue with Leupolds to date.
    Co-Owner of Hill People Gear
    "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I sold mine 6 months ago because I didn't think I had a need for it and now I miss it. Think I will try to get another soon. I really liked that rifle.

Moral of the story, don't sell guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    I sold mine 6 months ago because I didn't think I had a need for it and now I miss it. Think I will try to get another soon. I really liked that rifle.

Moral of the story, don't sell guns.
    Maybe try to pick one of these up. I like the idea of the stainless steel finish for an "all use" type of rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn, the stainless looks good.

I have really been considering the idea of one of these rifles with a 1-6x optic.

Feedback Score
    Just stumbled across this section of the forums today and figured I should share. After all, I've learned a lot of stuff from this site and think I should give a little back.

I've had my RGSR for 14 months now and enjoy it more today than the day I brought it home. I had it out shooting some 2"x5" sections of I-beams today at 200 yards and was knocking them down consistently from an improvised bench. I have the 2.5x Leupold mounted and have shot it out to 300 yards with no qualms.

I've posted the data I've collected over on scoutrifle.org but I'm having trouble loading those forums for some reason right now. When I can get it to load I'll transfer the data. For now, know this, with a FXII 2.5x28 scout scope in TPS mounts, DIY ching sling, 3 rounds poly mag, and a thread protector in place of the flash hider my scout weights a hair over 7.7 lbs. That's just barely over the upper limit of the Colonels original definition.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I called around my town looking for one of these. Was told by two stores that their order had been cancelled and a third store told me to try back NEXT YEAR, as in 11 months from now.
    Last edited by boogergoo; 02-03-13 at 01:42.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Maybe try to pick one of these up. I like the idea of the stainless steel finish for an "all use" type of rifle.

Oh that's pretty cool. Never seen one like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boogergoo View Post
    I called around my town looking for one of these. Was told by two stores that their order had been cancelled and a third store told me to try back NEXT YEAR, as in 11 months from now.
    That is just ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    look on the good side of that, least he will be able to pick up magazines when he buys the gun 1 year from now. Hell, for 6 weeks I have been trying to get 3 mags from Chris the owner of that one man show called Alpha Industries.

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast