Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    Box magazine
    Short barrel
    Ruger's solid action
    Picatinny rail

Dislikes:

Iron sights could be better designed
    Hate proprietary mags (Ruger didn't you learn with the Mini 14? Apparently not)
    That gay flash suppressor
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post

Dislikes:

Hate proprietary mags (Ruger didn't you learn with the Mini 14? Apparently not)
    What should Ruger have used instead? M-14 mags? They tried that and found that there were too many variables in the variety of USGI mags to make this a workable option. Armalite had similar issues retofitting M-14 mags to the AR-10.

At least they went with the AI mag. While this is expensive it is available from sources other than Ruger.

Feedback Score
    AI mags are the industry standard for practical precision bolt guns. Badger Ordnance makes bottom metal designed to accept AI mags, and both McMillan and Manners inlets their stocks for BO bottom metal. So, I don't really understand the fetish with M14 mags. Ruger was smart for going with AI mags.

But, the flash suppressor seems like an item someone would buy from CheaperThanDirt. And, I personally dislike plywood stocks. Just plain ugly. For a short range gun, a decent piece of walnut would suffice.
    Last edited by 8200rpm; 12-31-10 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Is one able to load the magazine through the action's port? Given that the magazine is a single feed position style, I'm guessing that one will have to remove the magazine and slip rounds in like loading a pistol mag. If so, this will make it impossible to do the "shoot one, load one" method of keeping the rifle topped off.

Rosco
    Your correct, single stack cannot top-off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    That's a slick little carbine, Ruger may get some more of my money after all. Agree with the goofy flash suppressor, BABC for that one.
    Replace it with another if you like or add a can.

Feedback Score
    I don't like the detachable mag for a scout rifle it should have been adapted to use stripper clips. Nothing against AI mags just ruger is using it in the wrong application.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Leupold makes a 1.4-4 power variable scout scope now rob_s if that makes a difference for you.
    The concept was basically sound 30 years ago but the features that came to define it have become irrelevant , that variable power scout scope is a perfect example of the pointless.

I like the factory AI DBM and threaded barrel. I'd like to see more bolt actions with those features but without the forward scout rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    This is a segment/niche gun which has to compete price-wise with the R700 AAC on one side and DPMS 308 on the other. I think having a full length rail like what XS is going to offer would have been better out of the box, as this would attract more guys who want a normal eye relief scope. Since it has the extra length of a muzzle device, maybe the 16.5" is a better starting point, but I still think 18 is better. As offered, it is a short range rifle. With full length rail and 18" barrel, it greatly extends into the target/hunting market. Rifle dollars for survivalists go more toward semiauto platforms. The majority of the rest is for target/hunting. So although I think it will sell, it would sell much better with those 2 changes. It has lots of great components (irons, AI mags, DIY stock pads), and I hope they sell like crazy. I'd consider buying a used one for $600.
    An 18" would move the concept away from Cooper's ideal scout rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post

This rifle will sell, and sell just fine. Only down side is like someone said, AI mags are rather pricey.

Ruger is working on a 5 and 10 round polymer mag which should be much cheaper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdc0000 View Post
    After some thought, if the trigger is not comparable to a M700 then I say what's the point. Detachable mags are nice, but a bad trigger and strange bedding system are a deal breaker for me. I'll wait for some range reports.

I didn't have any complaints with the trigger. I should have my rifle next week for further T&E.

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast