Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    If you haven't heard yet, Ruger is now selling the Synthetic Stock for the GSR.
    http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Gunsite-S...uctinfo/90574/

It took a 3/4 lb off the weight of my rifle - compared to the laminate stock. It also moved the weight slightly forward which made the single hand carry point just forward of the magazine. I took the GSR yesterday out to my land while I put out deer camera. That little bit of wgt savings made a huge difference carrying it around all day.
    NICE! Good on Ruger. Now If they would only sell the Laminate stock separate that would be perfect!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've always wondered what made the GSR so much heavier than the other ruger bolt actions... Laminate stock was a chunk, but unless the barrel profile is much heavier I can't see the flash hider and magazine/hardware making up the difference.

Feedback Score
    The barrel on the GSR is a sort of stepped/tapered medium contour and where the picatinny rail mounts it's pretty much a bull barrel. I'm pretty sure that adds up fast being steel and all.

The hardware associated with magazine (bottom metal) is all polymer and is really light weight (but strong from what I've seen bouncing around the truck).
    Last edited by ldirel; 05-08-16 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd have one except for the weight, and to a certain extent, cost. Especially if I have to buy a syn stock for it.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I'd have one except for the weight, and to a certain extent, cost. Especially if I have to buy a syn stock for it.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics
    Ruger sells GSR's that come the factory with syn stocks. They just didn't have syn stocks when the rifle 1st came out and you couldn't buy a replacement stock until this week.

Feedback Score
    Ruger sells GSR's that come the factory with syn stocks. They just didn't have syn stocks when the rifle 1st came out and you couldn't buy a replacement stock until this week.
    If only they sold the 18" model with a synthetic stock.

Tapatalk yadda yadda

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RiflemanBobcat View Post
    If only they sold the 18" model with a synthetic stock.

Tapatalk yadda yadda
    I have a special limited edition 17.2" model ( http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=4727.0 ):

Penned by Mark Gurney from Ruger.

As promised, the story of how the barrel length on the Ruger Gunsite Scout came to be. No drama or intrigue, unfortunately:

"The Scout Rifle will have a barrel length of sixteen and one-half inches. That's the barrel length on the Frontier Rifle, and it balances beautifully - both visually and in the hands."

Roy Melcher glared at me, daring me to disagree.

If you knew Roy, you would understand this statement. Roy was one of Bill Sr.'s last remaining "hands", bringing Bill's ideas to reality when he was too crippled with arthritis to draw on the board. An accomplished gun designer in his own right, Roy's final achievement was the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle; he sadly succumbed to cancer just as the Scout Rifle was starting production.

Roy wrote the book on curmudgeonry. I knew I'd much prefer to agree with him, than argue, because no doubt I'd lose. But Roy was right - the Frontier Rifle was a sweet little gun, and was the baseline from which our Scout Rifle was developed. So 16.5” it was.

A day or so later, I was discussing our new Scout Rifle with my friend Steve Johnson, who at the time was working for Hornady. He suggested we thread the barrel. "A short-barreled, magazine-fed bolt gun is the perfect suppressor host" he opined. I liked the idea, and went to see Roy with Steve's suggestion. I was pleasantly surprised when Roy enthusiastically agreed, and he then offered to see how it would look fitted with a flash suppressor.

We were thrilled with what Roy presented to us. The gun looked great. The Ruger Gunsite Scout was born.

A couple years and many Scout Rifles later, we were considering weight reduction possibilities to accompany our new, lighter weight composite stock. I asked the new engineer, Dave Chrystal, to reduce the barrel length from 16.5” to 16.1” . This would be a very small weight savings, but it would come off the end of the barrel where it would have the greatest impact on handling. He came back quickly with good news: The barrel was actually 17.2” long; we could cut off over an inch, shedding about a tenth of a pound off the end of the barrel. I was happy for our prospects of ”making weight” with the new stock, but it meant that we had been incorrectly stating our barrel length all along – and Scout Rifle fans care about such details.

Looking into it, Dave found that when Roy put threads on the barrel in the CAD model, rather than just add threads at the muzzle, Roy added a whole threaded section of barrel to the existing barrel, bringing its length out to 17.2”. I can’t ask Roy why he did it this way, but I suspect he was so pleased by the results that he kept it as-is, and just never get around to telling anyone that the barrel was a little longer than he initially intended. And I never bothered to check, probably because I fell in love with the gun, too, and didn’t see anything “wrong” with it.

So now all blued alloy Scout Rifles , in both composite and wood stocks, listed as 16.1”, actually have barrel lengths of 16.1”. And they all come with a thread cap in the box which will save another little bit of weight of the end of the barrel. But the muzzle brake that is installed on the composite stock is startlingly effective, so I highly recommend keeping it in place. Stainless steel guns in the composite stock guns are also 16.1”. Stainless guns in laminate are actually 18.7, which are a nice option for those that are looking for a little more velocity potential at a slight penalty in balance.

We can all offer a quiet moment of thanks to Roy. He made a rifle that would have made Bill Senior proud.
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 05-09-16 at 04:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you haven't heard yet, Ruger is now selling the Synthetic Stock for the GSR.
    http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Gunsite-S...uctinfo/90574/

It took a 3/4 lb off the weight of my rifle - compared to the laminate stock. It also moved the weight slightly forward which made the single hand carry point just forward of the magazine. I took the GSR yesterday out to my land while I put out deer camera. That little bit of wgt savings made a huge difference carrying it around all day.
    I guess this comes under what's friendly to carry around vs what's friendly to shoot. I have never considered myself recoil averse per se, but at it's current weight with laminate stock I found the recoil stiff. 10-20rnds to site it in, and I was done. I suppose most wouldn't bother with extended shooting sessions with such a rifle, so maybe a moot point. If I add a .308 bolt gun, that will be it as it fits exactly what I want a bolt gun to do, but fun to shoot it aint, at least for me. Reducing the weight will not help that at all, but I can see the other side of the coin there which is easier to lug around all day which I have not done. I really like the look at the feel of the laminate, but might not feel that way after a day of shlepping it around
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    If you were shooting it off a bench that might explain your recoil problem. I find shooting from field positions with light weight rifles much more pleasurable (especially when they're short .45-70 lever guns stoked hot).

The RGSR was never meant to be a bench gun and I find it to be only marginal when fired prone off a bipod. However, when I add a good shooting sling and start working positions it's a joy to shoot. Keep in mind that my plastic stock is back ordered from Ruger but I suspect this will still hold true since the ergonomics are supposed to be close to the same.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldirel View Post
    If you were shooting it off a bench that might explain your recoil problem. I find shooting from field positions with light weight rifles much more pleasurable (especially when they're short .45-70 lever guns stoked hot).

The RGSR was never meant to be a bench gun and I find it to be only marginal when fired prone off a bipod. However, when I add a good shooting sling and start working positions it's a joy to shoot. Keep in mind that my plastic stock is back ordered from Ruger but I suspect this will still hold true since the ergonomics are supposed to be close to the same.
    I was indeed, thanx. I was just siting it in for a buddy and wanted to try it. I had not tried it off hand from the bench. I think it's a great little rifle for my recs (though I wish the action as a tad smoother but I hear that also improves with time) and would still purchase one. Physics is physics, and if you want smaller and lighter guns with larger projectiles, you gotta pay the physics piper. I can see myself putting higher rnd counts through an AR, and enough to make sure all is GTG with the little GSR, to balance out my physics problem.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast