Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldirel View Post
    What did you do for the comb riser? Mine needed to be about 7/10".

I'll probably move to kydex piece sometime in the future but I was trying to save weight.
    http://www.amazon.com/Buttstock-Tact...ilpage_o02_s00

You can tweak the height with a couple velcro strips that attach to the underside (between the top inside of the cuff and the comb of the stock). I will not represent to you that I got an honest 1 inch of comb height out of that setup....I just knew that a thin butt cuff wouldn't get me what I wanted in terms of alignment with the scope. It's entirely possible that the change in comb height is less than 1 inch. Also, the zipper pull irritated me so I replaced it with a loop of 550 cord.

The exterior ammo loop are mounted on velcro, so I may take them off. I figure that I'll have the kinks on this rifle ironed out by the time I finish a rifle 270 course at Gunsite next month.
    Last edited by w squared; 05-19-16 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w squared View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Buttstock-Tact...ilpage_o02_s00

You can tweak the height with a couple velcro strips that attach to the underside (between the top inside of the cuff and the comb of the stock). I will not represent to you that I got an honest 1 inch of comb height out of that setup....I just knew that a thin butt cuff wouldn't get me what I wanted in terms of alignment with the scope. It's entirely possible that the change in comb height is less than 1 inch. Also, the zipper pull irritated me so I replaced it with a loop of 550 cord.

The exterior ammo loop are mounted on velcro, so I may take them off. I figure that I'll have the kinks on this rifle ironed out by the time I finish a rifle 270 course at Gunsite next month.
    I used the sling and support arm to pull the rifle into my shoulder and then I used the thumb on my other hand to space my cheek up until it was the right height. I measured that point (it happened to be the first knuckle for me) with a caliper and cut some foam to that height.

Lucky! I'd love to go to Gunsite but they're to rich for my blood. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but there's other training I'd rather spend money on right now. Personally, I'd consider their advanced pistol classes before I'd consider their rifle classes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I decided on the 270 for two reasons.

First is that Gunsite is a bit of a "bucket list" item for me. Doing Rifle 270 with a scout rifle is a chance to scratch that itch.

Second is that I have the chance to do a Vickers pistol and carbine class this year, so I want to round out the set of skills a little bit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What would be considered a great price for the laminate version of this rifle?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What would be considered a great price for the laminate version of this rifle?
    IIRC, dealer cost for a new laminate one is $755ish.
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-20-16 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    IIRC, dealer cost for a new laminate one is $755ish.
    Thanx, so around $800 would be a solid price I'd think.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I believe $800-$850 is the going price around here.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    If you were shooting it off a bench that might explain your recoil problem. I find shooting from field positions with light weight rifles much more pleasurable (especially when they're short .45-70 lever guns stoked hot).

The RGSR was never meant to be a bench gun and I find it to be only marginal when fired prone off a bipod. However, when I add a good shooting sling and start working positions it's a joy to shoot. Keep in mind that my plastic stock is back ordered from Ruger but I suspect this will still hold true since the ergonomics are supposed to be close to the same.
    I concur with this. Except for the stock part. I have the original laminate still, so I cannot comment on that.

I'm also going to be putting a Kaw Valley linear compensator on mine this week. I don't anticipate much difference in anything but sound however.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 09-24-16 at 17:26.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    A good compensator should cut recoil by a noticeable amount.

It'd be nice to have shooting from a bipod or off the bench. I'm running two layers of electrical shrink wrap on mine.

I got to try a 5 round AI pattern magazine from Magpul recently and it worked really well with the GSR. They fit better than Ruger poly magazines and seem to be made better too.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    A good compensator should cut recoil by a noticeable amount.

It'd be nice to have shooting from a bipod or off the bench. I'm running two layers of electrical shrink wrap on mine.

I got to try a 5 round AI pattern magazine from Magpul recently and it worked really well with the GSR. They fit better than Ruger poly magazines and seem to be made better too.
    I agree the compensator should reduce the felt recoil.
    That said, I can't seem to get solid, consistent reviews. The comments from folks who have put "linear" compensators (regardless of manufacturer) on their Ruger GSR's range from; "yes it helped with recoil," to "not at all."
    The only consistent review is that it reduced sonic feedback making it less punishing to the unprotected ears. Not something I would worry about on range since I wear ear pro. But for the hunting application is more my goal.

I haven't tried the mags you mention. But now you have my attention. I'll give them a look.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast