Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaRue/Swaro torture tests....

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

LaRue/Swaro torture tests....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihh-P1tdeZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vsKYqZb1Hk

Pretty good testament to modern high quality optics and mounts.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    ADCO would have thrown it out of an airplane.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Call me a skeptic but tossing a optic in water and then having it bounce on soft grass and turf is not exactly like the glass tumbling down a cliff or smacking against cement over and over again.

If that is the most extreme test he can think of than he is not very creative. He should shoot it with a rifle round and watch that scope bust to pieces....the bird shot isn't a very tough test at that distance.

Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-04-11 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I don't think the purpose was to destroy the scope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's interesting. Certainly no major shift in POA, but a single shot before and one more shot afterwards doesn't prove very much.

How about this?
    - Shoot group of at least 5 rounds.
    - Crank at least 20 minutes of windage and elevation. Shoot another 5+ round group.
    - Optionally, throw it in a pond or shoot it at this point
    - Crank it back to where it was originally. No overshooting and backing up on the knobs, no tapping the knobs, or any other tricks. Just crank it back to the original setting. Now shoot another group. Is it back on top of the first group?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Call me a skeptic but tossing a optic in water and then having it bounce on soft grass and turf is not exactly like the glass tumbling down a cliff or smacking against cement over and over again.

I watched the first video, and would not call it an extreme test either. I think most military scopes are treated worse than that on a regular basis. Spending time in a military vehicle probably does more damage than that..... however, if that is their scope, and not a loaner, I applaud them for their faith in the optic. As far as the mount, I would hope any mount would hold up to that.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    They should do the same thing with a middle grade scope. See if it holds up. If so, slowly do more and more things to see each scopes malfunction point. That would be cool

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Well I guess you guys should show them how its done and take a multi-thousand dollar scope and do your own tests.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just let Nightforce take care of all my testing....and yes it's ok that my non-NAVSPEC nxs compacts underwent 10 hours less of saltwater submersion testing.

If the guy wanted to get creative he should have mailed the optic to a seal downrange for a true "torture test"
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-05-11 at 00:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    That's interesting. Certainly no major shift in POA, but a single shot before and one more shot afterwards doesn't prove very much.

How about this?
    - Shoot group of at least 5 rounds.
    - Crank at least 20 minutes of windage and elevation. Shoot another 5+ round group.
    - Optionally, throw it in a pond or shoot it at this point
    - Crank it back to where it was originally. No overshooting and backing up on the knobs, no tapping the knobs, or any other tricks. Just crank it back to the original setting. Now shoot another group. Is it back on top of the first group?
    I like this one.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast