Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to clean dirty/discolored ammo?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're really concerned, run it through a vibratory tumbler with a tablespoon of mineral spirits absorbed into corncob media for 30 min to 1 hr.

It'll come out with any minor surface issues removed, and looking shiny and polished, but the annealing mark will still be there.

Feedback Score
    Alright guys, thanks for all the info as i feel much better about shooting it. I now understand why the rounds are of different color around the neck. I looked up some pictures and compared them with annealed arounds or whatever you wanna call it.

All i did was attach x10 rounds at a time to a stripper clip and hit them with a tooth brush, and then wipped them down with an old tee shirt.

I did get quite a bit of dirt, so the rounds are now shiny and smooth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Attempting to clean up XM193 is a silly waste of time. Shoot it.
    This.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    If you're really concerned, run it through a vibratory tumbler with a tablespoon of mineral spirits absorbed into corncob media for 30 min to 1 hr.

It'll come out with any minor surface issues removed, and looking shiny and polished, but the annealing mark will still be there.
    Tumble live rounds? I have never done this and to me it just sounds dangerous for 2 reasons. 1. Primer being struck by another round and 2. Powder being broken up to cause a faster ignition and increased pressures. I see you recommended a vibrator tumbler and not a rotary, but am I just over cautious?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Tumble live rounds? I have never done this and to me it just sounds dangerous for 2 reasons. 1. Primer being struck by another round and 2. Powder being broken up to cause a faster ignition and increased pressures. I see you recommended a vibrator tumbler and not a rotary, but am I just over cautious?
    I don't do it. Lots of people do. Seems to be pretty safe though I still don't want to tempt the ammo gods.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    How many reports of blown up tumblers/vibrators have you read about on the firearm forums? If it happened, it would be all over the forums with photos documenting everything.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've tumbled tens of thousands of live rounds to clean up surplus, remove case lube from reloads, etc, etc, etc.

Some gents over on SnipersHide did a 'mythbusters' style test where they tumbled and chrono'd ammo from 1 hour up to 24 hours. End result, no powder breakdown, no recordable speed differences. Do it, don't worry about the internet lore and hand wringing.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12