Thread: STG44/MP44

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

STG44/MP44

Does anyone know what the purpose of the extension on the end of the gas plug is for? It's the piece that looks like a martians antenna...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    Does anyone know what the purpose of the extension on the end of the gas plug is for? It's the piece that looks like a martians antenna...
    Stacking hook.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've had several people PM'ing me saying "Templar, what the hell is a stacking hook?"

So, here's what stacking hooks are.....

The original piece that Mk.18 Pilot was asking about is the "antenna" looking thing on the gas plug.

Militaries would put pieces of steel on the ends of the weapons, sometimes right up near the muzzle, sometimes further back, that would allow troops to interlock them when they were camped, keeping the rifles up right.

The US M1 Garand was the last US rifle that came with a stacking hook, it looks like a spare sling point attachment that's split down the center, further towards the muzzle than the actual front sling swivel.

Picture of my father with his M1 Garand, you can see the stacking hook hanging down from the weapon, just a bit south of the bayonet lug.

Pic of two M1 Garands and a M1903 that I pulled off the net.

USMC stacked M16A2's, using the front sight tower.

Hope that helps.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Militaries would put pieces of steel on the ends of the weapons, sometimes right up near the muzzle, sometimes further back, that would allow troops to interlock them when they were camped, keeping the rifles up right.

The US M1 Garand was the last US rifle that came with a stacking hook, it looks like a spare sling point attachment that's split down the center, further towards the muzzle than the actual front sling swivel.

Picture of my father with his M1 Garand, you can see the stacking hook hanging down from the weapon, just a bit south of the bayonet lug.

Pic of two M1 Garands and a M1903 that I pulled off the net.

Hope that helps.
    Templar, I swear you never cease to amaze me. I'm always learning something new from you. I have never owned an M1 so I have no experiance with them but have always wondered why they had an "extra sling loop" out front ever since I saw all the old WWII films growing up.

Thanks for the education.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I think it's always a waste of a good day if you dont learn something new and useful.

We had a whole drill movement for it back in bootcamp now that I remember. Stack arms it was called. Rifles would be held together by a loop in the parade sling.
    Last edited by 1903; 01-01-11 at 02:14.