Thread: Soft Points??

Feedback Score

Soft Points??

Does anyone recommend the use of soft point ammo 5.56/.223?? I tried search and got blank pages. I am thinking soft points may add to build up along with carbon in, and down stream of gas system. Thank you
    Boston's Gun Bible........ Javelin Press

theomegaman org forum

Feedback Score
    I use soft point ammo all the time for hogs and deer. I haven't noticed much difference in carbon billed up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why would soft point ammo make any differnce on carbon? Not that carbon bothers the AR anyway, but I don't follow the logic.

The only issue I've ever read about shooting a volume of softpoints was a possible built up of lead on the feed ramp area.

Feedback Score
    Soft points generally expand much more reliably than hollow points. However, a plastic tip changes things and often makes expansion more violent.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some of the best barrier blind ammo uses soft points. I don't know if those same bullets are available however to reloaders or if there are any comparable soft point bullets available. As markm mentioned, the only issue I have seen or heard of is lead build up on the feed ramps after several hundred rounds. As I recall the lead was removed simply by running some FMJs through the gun.

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to remain calm....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use SSA 6.8 SPC 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter, don't notice anything.

Feedback Score
    For the .223, the best SP bullet is the Winchester 64gr Power Point.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john1969 View Post
    Does anyone recommend the use of soft point ammo 5.56/.223?? I tried search and got blank pages. I am thinking soft points may add to build up along with carbon in, and down stream of gas system. Thank you
    A 55 or 60 JSP s is one of my mainstay training and contingency loads. Many thousand rounds downrange, including use in classes.

Some will note potential build-up of lead. It may or may not be an issue, depending on the particular variables.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب