Thread: Burris FF30 Tactical & P.E.P.R. mount

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Burris FF30 Tactical & P.E.P.R. mount

Burris sent me their new Full Field 30 Tactical and P.E.P.R. mount. I was curious how it compared to the XTR-14. The scope is 1-4x24mm with a 30mm tube and features their Ballistic CQ reticle.

Scope comes with factory slingshot lens covers.

And a technical sheet.

Once I opened the box and unwrapped the scope I noticed the finish was excellent. It has slightly more sheen than the XTR-14. Kind of a satin finish. Very nice.

The P.E.P.R. mount (30mm) in packaging.

Included with the mount is a Torx wrench and both sets of upper rings (Picatinny and standard). Six screws per ring.

And an installation instruction card.

The P.E.P.R. (proper eye position ready) mount. The mount is designed to allow proper eye relief on a flat-top AR-15 rifle. It affixes to the rail by tightening two base nuts.

The FF30 Tac in the P.E.P.R. mount.

Fit of the mount to the scope was perfect.

Non-illuminated, 1x magnification at 50 yds.

Illuminated, 1x power at 50 yds.

Non-illuminated, 4x magnification at 50 yds.

Illuminated, 4x power at 50 yds.

I did not use the high illumination settings for any of the above pictures. The setting depicted is middle to middle-high.

I am not a professional photographer by any means. Picture quality does not accurately depict the clarity of the optic tested. The glass is extremely crisp and clear. I was very surprised by the image quality for a ~$300 scope, as this is comparable to the XTR-14 (~$700) in sharpness. There is a slight edge distortion in the FF30 Tac as compared to the XTR-14, which is sharp throughout the field of view.

Illumination is activated by pushing the rubberized button on the left side. It is adjusted in intensity by pushing again. To reverse intensity settings it is necessary to hold the button for three seconds. To turn illumination off, hold for five seconds. Illumination will automatically shut off two hours after the last intensity change.

Weight-wise, the FF30 Tac is 13.1 oz. as compared to the XTR-14 at 15.8 oz. Lengthwise, the FF30 Tac is 10 9/32 in. long compared to 10 31/32 in.

For a $300 scope it offers a number of features that make it stand out in this price range. Burris could easily ask more for this optic, but it's good to finally see a quality scope for those who have to shoot on a budget.

The P.E.P.R. mount appears to be very well made and solid with a nice finish and should hold up to years of use. It would be nice to see Burris offer this in a quick-detach configuration.

I cannot emphasize enough how amazed I am with the quality of this optic.
    Last edited by deadduck357; 01-02-11 at 03:20.