Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 WMR AR's

Feedback Score

.22 WMR AR's

Just to let everyone know, there are two companies that are in progress with and about to release .22 WMR (.22 magnum) versions of the M4 / AR 15.

Alexander Arms & Nordic Components.

Both companies have produced totally new bolt set ups to what we are used to in the regular .22LR uppers.

Does anyone know if any other companies might be thinking about doing an AR in .22 WMR ?
    Last edited by kennp; 01-02-11 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

No manufacturer has been able to produce a reliable functioning .22 mag autoloader and several makers have tried. I would "wait and see" before I jumped on that bandwagon. I doubt seriously they will be able to do it.

And besides, the reason for a .22 in an AR is to save money on ammo but the magnum ammo is getting up where the savings aren't as good.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

No manufacturer has been able to produce a reliable functioning .22 mag autoloader and several makers have tried. I would "wait and see" before I jumped on that bandwagon. I doubt seriously they will be able to do it.

And besides, the reason for a .22 in an AR is to save money on ammo but the magnum ammo is getting up where the savings aren't as good.

But maybe it's just me...

.22 WMR rifles that have been about for years in semi auto have been made by CZ; Marlin, H&K, Ruger, Erma, Valquartsen & probably meny more manufacturers have & continue to make reliable .22 magnum (.22 WMR) rifles.
    .22 LR is cheeper than .22 magnum and so for cheep practice and plinking .22LR would be the way to go but it's not the only reason.
    Some people take their rimfire varmint & preditor shooting seriously and want more than .22 LR Stingers & the like have to offer.
    The 30grn Hornardy .22 WMR round gives performance not too far behind that of a 20grn .17 HMR round.
    Also, I understand that in some states or times of the year there are rimfire only restrictions so if you are after coyote you only really have the option of .22 WMR but of course I may be wrong on that as I don't live in the US.

Feedback Score
    Alexander arms made a 17hmr upper already...

others who've tried had issues with split cases... (unless that was AA and i'm mixing my info up)

at any rate... I'd love to see CMMG come out with something based on the success of their evolution series alone

Feedback Score
    Remington did recall it's 17HMR semi. They didn't get the timing of the bolt correct I believe causing the split cases. The 17HMR has a high peak pressure. This put off some other companies.

We are talking here though about the .22 WMR (.22 magnum) not the 17HMR

Remington did not recall it's .22 WMR (.22 magnum) semi auto & it is still for sale.

Alexander Arms has taken a new route in it's bolt design & taken it's time addressing the timing & cycling of the bolt & has got it sorted.

We always read about why bother with .22 magnum because it's more expensive that .22LR.
    This is the wrong way to look at it. The cartridge should be looked at from what it has to offer in it's own right, not how much it costs against .22LR. Plenty of people have .22LR's & then still go out & buy a .22 WMR. It is a great round with an extended range over .22LR & a quieter report than .223

I too would love to see CMMG consider doing a .22 WMR Evolution!

Feedback Score
    I believe that another reason exists for the .22 WMR. Our friends in the UK can use them without a lot of restrictions and it is the most powerful semi-auto available to them.

Feedback Score
    No centerfire semi automatic rifles are allowed for civillian use in the UK. The only semi's allowed have to be .22 rimfire.

This means no 17 HMR semi is allowed but any .22 rimfire is fine.

Our centerfire AR's were taken from us in the late 1980's.

We have .22LR AR's by CMMG; Spikes, Nordic Components, Tactical Solutions, Smith & Wesson, CZ V-22, Bradley Arms & perhaps one or two others but no one here has an AR / M4 in .22WMR.

.22 WMR (.22 magnum) would be the most powerfull semi automatic AR available in the UK.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennp View Post
    No centerfire semi automatic rifles are allowed for civillian use in the UK. The only semi's allowed have to be .22 rimfire.

This means no 17 HMR semi is allowed but any .22 rimfire is fine.
    Our centerfire AR's were taken from us in the late 1980's.

We have .22LR AR's by CMMG; Spikes, Nordic Components, Tactical Solutions, Smith & Wesson, CZ V-22, Bradley Arms & perhaps one or two others but no one here has an AR / M4 in .22WMR.

.22 WMR (.22 magnum) would be the most powerfull semi automatic AR available in the UK.
    ==============================

So what you are saying is you are limited on the 17 HMR because of the caliber? I'd think if they allowed "rimfires" that they would allow the 17 HMR too, since it is a rimfire?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ==============================

So what you are saying is you are limited on the 17 HMR because of the caliber? I'd think if they allowed "rimfires" that they would allow the 17 HMR too, since it is a rimfire?

Correct! We have some very silly firearms laws here in the UK.
    Any semi auto rifle must only be .22 rimfire.
    As the 17HMR is .17 & not .22 we can't have it in a semi but we can have .22WMR (.22 magnum)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennp View Post
    Correct! We have some very silly firearms laws here in the UK.
    Any semi auto rifle must only be .22 rimfire.
    As the 17HMR is .17 & not .22 we can't have it in a semi but we can have .22WMR (.22 magnum)
    =============================

Man that's crummy!

I remember years ago I went to the SHOT Show and some Brit Air Rifle companies were there touting an "injection system" for spring air rifles to get more "horsepower" out of them.

The system would inject ether in the space in front of the piston. When the gun was fired, the compression would ignite the ether adding considerable velocity to the pellet. If I remember correctly, it was faster than a 22 mag. They also warned that the system was for only well made spring air guns.

I'm sure they've outlawed those systems by now.

Last edited by ucrt; 01-03-11 at 12:27. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast