Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 WMR AR's

Feedback Score
    Not at SHOT, I do not exhibit there anymore just wander the floor.

Testing is running well and the commonality of parts means that we potentally have the first few hundred in stock. I would anticipate release at NRA, I like that show and always have a booth.

I think I have a get together with Peter Hathaway-Jones planned, so I will chat with him

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    Not at SHOT, I do not exhibit there anymore just wander the floor.

Testing is running well and the commonality of parts means that we potentally have the first few hundred in stock. I would anticipate release at NRA, I like that show and always have a booth.

I think I have a get together with Peter Hathaway-Jones planned, so I will chat with him

Bill Alexander
    Hope you enjoy 'Shot' Bill.
    Glad to hear your meeting up with Pete from Lower Mill Ranges to talk about the gun.
    You probably already know because of the close way you have developed the 17HMR whilst working closley with Hornardy but anyway, Hornardy has brought out a new .22 WMR round. It is a 45grn rubber tipped bullet in their new 'Critical Defence' line. It has been desinged to deliver good performance from short barrel hand guns with optinised clean burn powder with less muzzle flash & it says is very
    good out of rifles. It sounds like it might work well in a blow back rifle so I hope you can get hold of some & give them a go.

Pete.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not aware of CMMG having any plans for a .22 WMR
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    I am not aware of CMMG having any plans for a .22 WMR
    CMMG Industry Partner
    MO, USA Posts: 15699
    User Blog Media Collections * - Feedback Soon! Posted: 2/1/2011 3:44:16 PM GMT

Sorry guys, no immediate plans to do a .22 mag. We have a prototype, but not looking to push forward at this time.

CMMG, Inc
    PO Box 369
    Fayette, MO 65248
    660-248-2293
    www.cmmginc.com
    sales@cmmginc.com

Hi Shoadow65,
    I just pasted this of another forum on the same subject.
    Thing is CMMG already have the prototype for the .22WMR
    They have just released a 5.7 X 28 with a blowback bolt & 30 rnd magazine. The 5.7 X 28 is similar but generally above .22WMR in the power stakes but has no rim on the cartridge like the .22WMR.
    It would not be too hard for them to adapt this bolt for the rimfire .22WMR on the same blowback action.
    It's a great shame if they don't do something in .22WMR I think CMMG might be missing a trick here as I know that Black Dogs new magazine can be configured for the .22WMR because thats the route that NORDIC are going to take with it & I would imagine that the magazine is half the problem.
    By standardising the magazine & using a company to produce it like BLACK DOG it would be a great help just as it has proved to be for the .22LR magazines.
    Last edited by kennp; 01-19-11 at 02:15.

Feedback Score
    Hi Bill,

NRA is 29th of May!
    Thats quite a long way in the future, Nordic will have released their rifle by then I would have thought.
    I will have to check my FAC to see how long I've got left to run for a .22WMR slot now, Hate to miss the boat after all this!
    Pete.
    Last edited by kennp; 01-19-11 at 02:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennp View Post
    CMMG Industry Partner
    MO, USA Posts: 15699
    User Blog Media Collections * - Feedback Soon! Posted: 2/1/2011 3:44:16 PM GMT

Sorry guys, no immediate plans to do a .22 mag. We have a prototype, but not looking to push forward at this time.

CMMG, Inc
    PO Box 369
    Fayette, MO 65248
    660-248-2293
    www.cmmginc.com
    sales@cmmginc.com

Hi Shoadow65,
    I just pasted this of another forum on the same subject.
    Thing is CMMG already have the prototype for the .22WMR
    They have just released a 5.7 X 28 with a blowback bolt & 30 rnd magazine. The 5.7 X 28 is similar but generally above .22WMR in the power stakes but has no rim on the cartridge like the .22WMR.
    It would not be too hard for them to adapt this bolt for the rimfire .22WMR on the same blowback action.
    It's a great shame if they don't do something in .22WMR I think CMMG might be missing a trick here as I know that Black Dogs new magazine can be configured for the .22WMR because thats the route that NORDIC are going to take with it & I would imagine that the magazine is half the problem.
    By standardising the magazine & using a company to produce it like BLACK DOG it would be a great help just as it has proved to be for the .22LR magazines.
    That's news to me. I'll talk to John and check into it.
    I would like to see one.
    I can't keep up with all the new gear CMMG is working on.
    The modular upper receivers were a complete suprise.
    Dave
    Last edited by shadow65; 01-19-11 at 09:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I spoke with the engineer today at CMMG. The project was let go because the backs of the cases were being blown out.
    They decided it was too dangerous for the user and the project was abandoned.
    Dave

Feedback Score
    I spoke with the engineer today at CMMG. The project was let go because the backs of the cases were being blown out.
    They decided it was too dangerous for the user and the project was abandoned.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

Thankyou for looking in to it & finding out where its at.

It sounds like they were using a blowback bolt and a heavier bolt would have been a good place to start the engineering to hold the round in place for a longer period and let the gas peak expire but that would just be the start of getting the timing right I guess.
    I know CMMG are very busy people and working on a lot of projects now so for this to work would have taken considerable R&D that they can't afford to this project right now.
    (though I hope they can soon)

That is not to say that it can't be done properly or that .22 WMR is a dangerous round in a semi auto though.

Both Alexander Arms & Nordic Comonents have achieved it and this is; of course, after both companies have invested a great deal of time and money in R&D. I think that they have taken different routes to get there but I'm not too sure as I have little info on the Nordic AR at the moment.

I think the Alexander Arms bolt is similar to the Colt 9mm SMG.
    I have not seen the Nordic bolt as yet so can't comment.

Outside of the AR platform there are; of course, many companies that have made the .22 WMR (.22 magnum ) work well & safe like Magnum Research; Volquartsen, Exelarms, CZ/BRNO to name a few.

The 'safest'.22 magnum I know of is the Erma Werke ESG .22 WMR as this is a gas operated semi that works from a locked bolt & has been made since the 1970's!

An AR-15 is both possible & safe to produce in the .22WMR provided the correct design, engineering and R&D are applied to the project.

Here's a thought, has anybody thought of making one by adapting the existing AR bolt & reproducing it to take the .22 magnum rim case & keep it as a locked bolt design with direct gas impingement or gas piston, German engineers managed that back in the 1970's.

If using the blowback bolt design how about making the recoil spring user adjustable like on the Colt / Umarex copy of the AR.

Pete.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would think Nordic would have the best chance of pulling it off simply because their bolt is likened to the 10/22 bolt which has been successful for .22 magnum rounds.

Dave

Feedback Score
    I would think Nordic would have the best chance of pulling it off simply because their bolt is likened to the 10/22 bolt which has been successful for .22 magnum rounds.

Dave
    I knew their NC-22 (LR) was based on the Ruger 10/22 but I can't get any info out of Tim at Nordic about the NC-22 WMR version but I do know that it has a working forward assist so I can't work out if it too is based on the 10/22.
    I have owned a Ruger 10/22 WMR & it was a good shooter.
    Like everyone I still keep a couple of Ruger 10/22 (LR's)

Pete.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast