Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Anyone Sell a LPK - the Hammer/Trigger

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    WTF people? The OP asked a valid follow-on question:

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I found that JP offers a LPK with the PG, but minus the hammer & trigger for $38. Anyone know who makes the JP LPK?
    And gets "I'm more orthodox than you" responses:

Quote Originally Posted by outrider627 View Post
    Seven people in this thread recommended G&R's LPK, which is known to be made of quality parts. Yet, you still are looking at other LPKs. Why did you ask us for help again?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmAuto View Post
    Sounds like you might be better off an AR made by a domestic airsoft manufacturer...
    Either answer the question or move on. This is a technical forum.

OP, Grant's LPKs are known to be good. Maybe someone will chime in with useful info about the JP.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    WTF people? The OP asked a valid follow-on question:

And gets "I'm more orthodox than you" responses:

Either answer the question or move on. This is a technical forum.

OP, Grant's LPKs are known to be good. Maybe someone will chime in with useful info about the JP.
    To be honest, I woke up and opened up M4C, saw this thread, and thought the OP was just ignoring everyone's suggestion. I can be quite an asshole when I have to wake up early after only a few hours of sleep.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Grant has said his LPK contains LMT parts, so that tells you the level of quality of the whole LPK. I can't find anything on the JP LPK other than a thread on Calguns where someone speculates that the JP LPK is a rebranded DPMS kit. At the price JP sells their kit for, I'm gonna say its possible, but assuming something about a product makes an ass out of you, me, and anyone else who takes speculation as gospel.

The OP either has the choice of a highly recommended LPK or taking a shot in the dark with another LPK.
    Last edited by outrider627; 01-22-11 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Sense

I wouldn't risk integral parts of the AR lower to chance. Better to buy a known quality than risk failure.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 01-23-11 at 03:10.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well that's the problem with the internet. No way to tell what's in someone's head just by reading a few words. I've purchased from Grant before and likely will again, as I had no complaints. His price for a LPK - hammer and trigger is $51. At that price point, I just wonder whether it would be better to pay a few extra dollars for a Daniel Defnse LPK and keep a spare hammer & trigger on hand (not that I don't already have some).

If the JP is a rebranded DPMS, I'll pass. I learned 20 years ago with a DPMS 2 piece 1911 guide rod that a cheap deal isn't always a good deal. But the game gunners do tend to send thousands of rounds downrange every year. I'd think they'd complain if their parts were letting them down.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well that's the problem with the internet. No way to tell what's in someone's head just by reading a few words. I've purchased from Grant before and likely will again, as I had no complaints. His price for a LPK - hammer and trigger is $51. At that price point, I just wonder whether it would be better to pay a few extra dollars for a Daniel Defnse LPK and keep a spare hammer & trigger on hand (not that I don't already have some).
    Just FYI, I've also compared the G&R LPK back to back with a Daniel Defense kit.* G&R's kit has a nicer looking bolt catch (both design and finish), and the selector is marked LMT but otherwise the same. The LMT bolt catch looks slightly more robust than the typical USGI style catch you get with any other kit except Armalite (who has their own special catch design).

If you get the complete G&R kit, it appears to have the same "S" marked notched hammer as you get with DD, but G&R's trigger is also "S" marked while DD uses a different trigger that isn't marked and is different in one dimension (vertical thickness at front) and finish.

I'm sure both kits are high quality.

* Just so people don't think I'm constantly inventing new experience, here is the complete list of LPKs I own or have owned:
    G&R (two, neither yet assembled)
    Armalite (two, both assembled, both with 2-stage trigger)
    DPMS (one, assembled)
    Del-Ton Inc. (one, assembled)
    Daniel Defense (one, not assembled)
    Spike's Tactical (one, assembled)
    DoubleStar (one, assembled)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

If the JP is a rebranded DPMS, I'll pass. I learned 20 years ago with a DPMS 2 piece 1911 guide rod that a cheap deal isn't always a good deal. But the game gunners do tend to send thousands of rounds downrange every year. I'd think they'd complain if their parts were letting them down.

Thanks for all the info guys!
    Spare parts are always a good idea. Gotta be careful though, too many spare parts can make an unexpected extra rifle.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by outrider627 View Post
    Spare parts are always a good idea. Gotta be careful though, too many spare parts can make an unexpected extra rifle.
    I know, that's why I seem to always have a spare stripped lower in the safe!

Feedback Score
    I just completed a DD LPK install tonight. I completed a Rock River Arms LPK install a little over a month ago, both of which went into JD Machine Lower Receivers. Both kits installed very easily but I think I prefer the RRA trigger. The DD trigger has a lot more creep and it feels a little grimy during the creep. The RRA trigger seems a lot more crisp with a lot less creep but seems to have a heavier trigger pull.

I noticed more play with the DD hammer pin which maybe is causing the creep? Tomorrow I plan on doing some swapping around - pins only, pins & trigger - to see if the JD lowers have any variances or if it's the parts kit itself.

I know you want a different trigger than one from a parts kit but if you're going to buy a complete lpk and keep the trigger as a spare this info could be useful to you. my 5 cents....

And with the overwhelming response to G&R tactical's lpk I think I might just need to buy another lower to try it out I take it the G&R is worth the extra 20-30 bucks compared to the DD or RRA kit. What is it you guys like about the G&R kit? Fit? Details in finish? Trigger? All of the above? So far it seems like people like the LMT parts but why? I know I have a lot of questions but I want to be an informed consumer and know what kind of details to look for...
    Last edited by ShoootA; 01-26-11 at 23:59.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is the G&R hammer currently notched or rounded?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The one I got three months ago was notched. You might want to email Grant for up to the minute information.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123