Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR build: Which lower for life?

Feedback Score

Lightbulb SBR build: Which lower for life?

I've read pages of threads here and the SBR sticky. I'm a NC resident in a no-sign county and will be going the R&D trust route having read the arguments and NCGS 14-288.8 a few times. I plan on building a flattop 10.5" SBR AR, later adding a can to it with the next stamp. Right now, I'm looking at the Noveske 10.5's with the switch block. This will be a range toy, and for the occasional 3Gun match fun match, and of course the testing basis of a piece of ballistic software to remain true to my 14-288.8 R&D. This SBR will probably also have a .22lr bolt in it 50% of the time or better as my local range is rimfire only. (hence the extra benefit of the switch block to close off the gas

Now it's time to order the lower, make sure it's in spec & everything per the sticky. Who to use?

I kind of like the billet lowers, all my rifles have forged ones now. I want a lower that's well made, will engrave nicely, and would be supported down the road. Longevity is the biggest concern.

LaRue:
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=248

Mega:
    http://megamachineshop.com/armscatal...3S/loader.html

Any suggestions on which lower to start with? Are there any manufacturers that can sell a lower engraved with my intended trust name up front?

Feedback Score
    Just pick what ever logo you like. I went with Noveske. I think my next will be the Spikes Bio Hazard lower. That is unless a certian suppressor Co. comes out with there own logoed lower at SHOT.

Jk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you're going with a Noveske SBR upper, you might want to check with them on doing a Noveske Form 4 lower rather than a Form 1 lower of another make. That way you don't have to engrave it at all and if you ever do have to sell it, you can get full value for the lower.

Not something everyone will care about, but it's worth throwing out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    If you're going with a Noveske SBR upper, you might want to check with them on doing a Noveske Form 4 lower rather than a Form 1 lower of another make. That way you don't have to engrave it at all and if you ever do have to sell it, you can get full value for the lower.
    There is no reason not to do this. ToddK gave more details in another thread in this forum.

Feedback Score
    With regard to swapping uppers, is there any difference between a Form 1 and Form 4 registered SBR?

I was hoping to buy a second 10.5" upper at some point for the same SBR lower.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    No difference and you can have as many SBR uppers for a registered lower as you want.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Skip the billet lowers.

As long as the lower is 7075 and anodized correctly and everything is in spec it will last a very long time.

Me personally I am going with either a Daniel Defense(if my dealer can get me a good price on it) or an Aero Precision for my SBR build. If I could get a Noveske for a good price I would probably go that way as well.

Feedback Score
    Anyone offer engraving at the time of order or are any engravers an FFL so that I can mail a lower to them & back directly?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought a Noveske matched upper/lower for my SBR, build, used a BCM BFH 11.5 inch barrel. Worked out great. Noveske and Rainier Arms usually sell those matched uppers/lowers for $250.

As to engraving, Ident Marking services in Texas and Orion Arms in Minnesota are both 07/02 FFL/MFGRs that can legally receive your receiver and ship it back to you. They both do a great job. I've used Ident because they were a little cheaper. I have the engraving done in a 1/16 inch font in the trigger well and it was some very nice work.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-05-11 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    There is no reason not to do this. ToddK gave more details in another thread in this forum.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69631

Here is the link.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast