Thread: Tested some loads today... pics inside.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Tested some loads today... pics inside.

I tested out some loads with my "precision" setup today. It is a 16" heavy barreled lo pro DPMS upper with a free floated handguard and a 1-4x millett scope. It has always shot well but today I was impressed.

I was testing between SMK BTHP and Midway's Dogtown (52gr vs 55gr). The cheaper 55gr dogtown shot better which surpised me, but that is not why Im posting this. I see serious potential in this rifle and I think im going to build it up more.

I have a Millett TRS1 4-16x50 on my Savage 10. It is a good scope for the money. Not an excellent scope by any means, but it is good, very capable and for what it costs a great deal. I think Im going to replace it with a Nightforce and put the Millett on the DPMS. I think with a better trigger, more magnification and some practice I could see some impressive results.

These were todays groups from 50yds off a bench with a front and rear bag at 4x:

The best group of the day was .422". That is damn near .5moa. Is this the best accuracy I can see from this rifle? I want to increase the distance and the accuracy.

Discuss.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that 1MOA is what you will get from most precision ARs shooting factory match ammo with good glass. There are a few that consistently shoot 0.5 MOA with handloads, but this is not the norm when talking about 10 round groups or an average of 5 five-round groups. However, it is hard to tell the accuracy potential with a 1-4X scope. If you go NF, the 2.5-10X32 is hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread started today by TRIDENT82 up in the general AR subsection may be of interest as a sort of comparitor over longer ranges with better optics and 10 round groups.
    Lots of pictures of perforated targets at least with precision group measurements.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 05-12-11 at 07:07. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aveisone View Post
    The best group of the day was .422". That is damn near .5moa. Is this the best accuracy I can see from this rifle? I want to increase the distance and the accuracy.

Discuss.
    Really around .85 MOA using the approximation of 1" at 100 yards. You were at 50 yards so MOA is 1/2 inch.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    MOA is a measurement of group diameter, not bullet diameter. To calculate MOA, you take the raw diameter of the group and subtract the diameter of the bullet. If you're shooting 2" groups, it doesn't do much to your group size to subtract .223". If you're shooting a .422 group, your actual group size is .199". That's a sub 1\4 MOA group, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    MOA is a measurement of group diameter, not bullet diameter. To calculate MOA, you take the raw diameter of the group and subtract the diameter of the bullet. If you're shooting 2" groups, it doesn't do much to your group size to subtract .223". If you're shooting a .422 group, your actual group size is .199". That's a sub 1\4 MOA group, which is nothing to sneeze at.
    Actually since it was at 50 yards it is closer to a 1/2 MOA group.
    .199" x 2= .398MOA.

If you want a better representation of what your rifle is capable of, stop shooting three shot groups. Try 5-10 shot groups. Or measure all of the three shot groups and make an average group size. It will make a big difference.

Adding more magnification wont make the gun any more accurate, but the groups may shrink since it should allow you to keep a more precise and consistent aiming point.

For good information on how to evaluate the potential of a rifle seek out the posts by Molon.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 05-17-11 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Actually since it was at 50 yards it is closer to a 1/2 MOA group.
    .199" x 2= .398MOA.
    My bad, I forgot about the 50 yard thing.