I think you'll have to search pretty far and wide to find many warriors who have had a G-shock fail them. I'd say that the G-shock watches are the most popular watches in line units because of their blend of excellent value and amazing durability.

I'm currently on a G-shock after my Suunto Vector gave up the ghost after a couple years. I really couldn't justify buying another $300 watch. When I had the Suunto, even though it was capable of all kinds of cool functions, I never had the time or interest in reading the 300 page manual to learn how to use all of its features.

What I basically had was a heavy, durable, reasonably waterproof timepiece. All I ever used it for was telling time.

When I was in Naval Hospital Corps School in Great Lakes in 1999, I bought a Luminox "Navy SEAL" watch. That watch stayed on my wrist for the next eight years (seven of those years were as a Hospital Corpsman with the Fleet Marine Force and two combat deployments). Every training evolution I went on, that watch was there. I never spent a second worrying about protecting that watch from damage or scratches. The Illumination of the hands and face were so bright that I could read the time through a poncho liner.

I wore the numbers off the bezel. I scratched the crystal so bad I could barely see through it. I did a few hundred SCUBA dives with it (some were decompression dives past 200 feet) It survived a 600 foot fall from a bridge one night (not on my wrist... another story). In all of this time, it stopped working exactly one time when the original battery died after three years.

The only reason I retired the watch was because it failed its water-tightness test when I took it in for its third battery. One absolute requirement for my watches is that they're waterproof to at least 200 feet, because sometimes I take them there.

It was sad, but I felt that watch had given me eight years of honorable service so I retired her. I bet that watch is sitting there in a box somewhere and the illumination on the dials are still blazing away. The hands don't move anymore, but I'm confident that if I dig her out and throw another battery in her, she'll plug along until the end of the world... just don't get her wet.

Now I have a G-shock. I'm pretty sure it does a bunch of cool stuff... but in the end, all I ask it to do is keep track of what time it is.

Best of luck to you in your search. I hope you find that special watch you're looking for.