Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Military/Tactical Watch Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Costco. I think it's real
    I doubt the GW6900bc-1 is at Costco for $130. There are other models that look like this but not with the negative display and solar. Good luck on your search. Anything Casio you can't go wrong.

Feedback Score
    I have Eco-Drives, Suuntos, G-Shocks, Pathfinders and many others... the Eco-Drives are great watches (maybe more a daily wear watch), Suuntos have been okay, any G-Shock is going to be good, same for the Pathfinders - I even got into making watches myself as a hobby.

The most important thing to decide (as with anything) is:

1. What do you need it to do?
    2. Is the watch from a reputable maker?
    3. How much do you want to spend?
    4. What do you want it to look like?
    157. What do other people think of your watch?

That said... I have sort of gotten away from the do everything ABC watches, towards the more reliable, simple time pieces; a true field watch. The above mentioned Bertucci is a great watch, the G-Shock military you mentioned is a 5600 series and is probably the gold standard for tough watches... and still small enough that you won't be taking it off "to do something".

As for the high-zoot, kitchen sink watches... next on my list is a PAW5000 Pathfinder, but I just like analog stlye - heck, an easy 80% of the time I am wearing either a Casio WVA320 or an AMW3200. Now I have a butt-load of watches that I just don't wear anymore
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    The most important thing to decide (as with anything) is:

1. What do you need it to do?
    2. Is the watch from a reputable maker?
    3. How much do you want to spend?
    4. What do you want it to look like?
    157. What do other people think of your watch?
    1. If I decide to go into the military after college, I need it to withstand anything the military can throw at me. I need it to handle the stresses of shooting, running, swimming, boxing, etc.

I have to be able to see what time it is on the watch in no-light situations.

Stopwatch/countdown timer is necessary.

Solar is my top choice. And since I'm very much a DIY Guy, if I can't find a solar watch then I need one that I can replace the batteries myself.

If I get one without a built-in compass, I'll need one with analog hands so I can use the hands and the sun as a rough compass (This would be my backup compass). If I get one with a built-in compass then I'll be OK with a digital. Altimeter would be pretty cool for the hiking I do, but can I really find an accurate altimeter on a $200 watch?

The sunrise/sunset function is really nice so I can know when to set up camp.

2. You said your Suunto was OK. Could you elaborate on that? I think I'm down to a Suunto or a Casio, so I believe both are reputable manufacturers.

3. Up to my girlfriend, but I doubt she'll spend over $200.

4. I like how clean the Suuntos look, and try as I might, it's hard for me to fall in love with the regular G-Shock bezel. There are a few that I like but most are not that appealing. I want to be able to wear this watch to class without it looking like I have a computer strapped to my wrist.

Think you can help me decide based on these answers?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polkhigh View Post
    Yeah. $130 seem really low. When I got mine about 8 months ago it was $200. I would be suspicious if you get it for $130 given the G-Shock's are notorious for being faked.
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ct/GW6900BC-1/

Casios website, although I may have incorrectly assumed that it was priced the same as the rest of the 6900 series.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbackus View Post
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ct/GW6900BC-1/

Casios website, although I may have incorrectly assumed that it was priced the same as the rest of the 6900 series.
    http://www.gshock.com/products/index...2-2908560E72B1

Casios website and product lineup is confusing at best
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post
    http://www.gshock.com/products/index...2-2908560E72B1

Casios website and product lineup is confusing at best
    Well that's disappointing, but even at $200 it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbackus View Post
    Well that's disappointing, but even at $200 it doesn't seem like a bad deal.
    this one has the solar feature and is only 100 dollars.

http://www.rei.com/product/808310
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    The one that is priced at $130 is the GW6900-1 (and others) not the GW6900BC-1. When I was researching to purchase the watch, I came across the same confusion. Few of the differences between the two are the strap is different for the BC-1 it is not a resin material like most of the G-Shock. Also, the most important feature for me was the negative display. I love the stealthiness of it.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    My "go to" watch for rough stuff is a G-Shock DW6900-1V. I trust it without fail and my Luminox, while a decent watch, isn't nearly as tough.

I wear it with the face on the inside of my wrist. I bought it before I deployed in 2003 and have replaced the strap & battery once each.

If I were to replace it, I'd get a solar / atomic version, ala GW6900-1 or GW6900BC-1.
    Last edited by NUTT; 01-15-11 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    My g-shock is super tough and priced just right so if it gets lost or stolen, I won't shed any tears.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast