Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Military/Tactical Watch Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    I have a core, and it seems kind of huge to begin with, but you get used to it. Kind of like getting the Droid X or something... lol. Also, I didn't see this stated before, but i think the core's bezel ring is anodized and can get scratched up and expose the aluminum... at least it did with mine, but I'm kind of rough with my gear.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kit222 View Post
    I have a core, and it seems kind of huge to begin with, but you get used to it. Kind of like getting the Droid X or something... lol. Also, I didn't see this stated before, but i think the core's bezel ring is anodized and can get scratched up and expose the aluminum... at least it did with mine, but I'm kind of rough with my gear.
    Other than the scratches, has it held up OK?

Oh and I have read that the Core's software problems have been fixed. But that could just be hearsay.

Feedback Score
    The vector has enough features to fly the freaking space shuttle. I live by the ocean so setting altitude should be easy. I'll do some experimenting when I snowboard whistler in terms of rates of descent.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
    The vector has enough features to fly the freaking space shuttle. I live by the ocean so setting altitude should be easy. I'll do some experimenting when I snowboard whistler in terms of rates of descent.
    What keeps me interested in the Core is the weather change indicator and the sunrise/sunset indicator. I think the Core is the only one with those functions, correct?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    correct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    Other than the scratches, has it held up OK?

Oh and I have read that the Core's software problems have been fixed. But that could just be hearsay.
    About the software problems, this past summer (June/July time frame), my back light on it started getting weak and it would randomly reset every few hours. I had just gotten the watch maybe 6 months prior and I have no idea what was wrong with it, but I contacted Suunto, sent it into one of their service centers and they sent me a new one and it's been working fine so far.

As I understand it the 'storm alarm' works off of rapidly changing barometric pressure to let you know somethings going to happen, while the sunrise/sunset is based off you selecting your location from a menu of cities they have by region stored in the watch... since I live in central California, the closest city they have is San Francisco, so while its not exact, its close enough for my needs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is the Observer made in Finland or China?
    Finland. The size is much more reasonable. The Observer has most of the features of the Vector, but inexplicably lacks the countdown timer, which is the only thing I miss from the Vector. However, it has superior water resistance (I do dive, though the Observer wouldn't be my first choice for that role anyhow). I actually had more experience with Suunto dive computers and compasses before I purchased one of their watches. They make a quality product, though I am leery of the Core models and have stuck with their original line from Finland.

Though I consider the compass on the Suunto as a secondary or backup device, the compass feature drew me to the Suunto lineup as I do like having an extra compass on my wrist in the wild - or a primary if I suddenly find myself needing one without my hiking kit. It is not the compass I'd choose if I was trying to find a little red ammo can in the middle of the woods at night, but I think it would serve well enough in extremis. You might not need a compass until you need one badly...

Feedback Score
    For the Suunto, I've narrowed it down to the Core and X-Lander. My co-worker told me today that his pricing break isn't much of a discount since it's no different were he to buy it at REI. He said that's the only company/manufacturer that really doesn't offer him much of a discount. Oh well. . .

Feedback Score
    What keeps me interested in the Core is the weather change indicator and the sunrise/sunset indicator. I think the Core is the only one with those functions, correct?
    Yea for me the Vector was much more in my price range + it was made in Finland. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Core in the future though just I have a lot of other things I want before I start buying essentially "duplicate" pieces of kit.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    For the Suunto, I've narrowed it down to the Core and X-Lander. My co-worker told me today that his pricing break isn't much of a discount since it's no different were he to buy it at REI. He said that's the only company/manufacturer that really doesn't offer him much of a discount. Oh well. . .
    I believe I'm in the same boat, but I'm still considering the Vector. Are you leaning more towards one than the other? The budget is pushing me away from the X-Lander but the quality concern is pushing me away from the Core

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast