Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: What has to be engraved on your SBR?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,225
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    What has to be engraved on your SBR?

    Pappabear
    NFA Revocable Trust
    Tempe AZ

    Is this correct (given my correct full name)

    If I have this Laser Engraved, what is the best way to refinish it? Any thoughts or feedback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    N. Georgia, USSA
    Posts
    920
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Pappabear
    NFA Revocable Trust
    Tempe AZ

    Is this correct (given my correct full name)

    If I have this Laser Engraved, what is the best way to refinish it? Any thoughts or feedback.
    If the SBR is being registered by the trust, there is no need to engrave your name.

    Just the name of the trust and city/state.

    As for the refinish, use Alumablack or a black sharpie.
    Last edited by khc3; 01-13-11 at 18:06.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,225
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Id like to keep it short but it is the Pappabear NFA Rev. Trust. Kinda sucks its so long but WTF, Ill just get it done.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    4,098
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Consumer-grade laser engraving services generally do not meet the ATF's depth/size requirement, so I would entrust this to a company with experience in NFA engraving.

    AC

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Crandall, TX
    Posts
    41
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm curious about what you would with a gun like the ACR with a polymer lower, is it possible to engrave it? If not how would you register one as an SBR? I don't have one i'm just curious.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The serial number is on the upper of an ACR. I'd engrave the upper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,225
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Consumer-grade laser engraving services generally do not meet the ATF's depth/size requirement, so I would entrust this to a company with experience in NFA engraving.

    AC
    Army Chief, what are the size / depth requirments?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ident Marking and Orion Arms both come to mind as very experienced firearms engravers. Both are 07/02 FFL, so can legally possess your SBR receiver in the event you decide to send it for engraving after it's registered (unlike the local trophy shop, where you'd have to have it done while you wait). They specialize in BATF-legal engraving (.003" deep and 1/16th inch high minimum) and blacken the lettering afterward.

    http://www.orion-arms.com/

    http://www.identmarking.com/index.html
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-13-11 at 21:18.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    GP Oregon
    Posts
    1,998
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can put your markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel when making an SBR. Only the serial number must be on the frame or receiver, and only the serial number is required to be 1/16th high.

    "...legibly identify each firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the frame or receiver an individual serial number."

    "...conspicuously place the following identification markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel...
    3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer;
    4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State..."

    "...minimum height of 1/16th inch and a minimum depth of .003 inch for serial numbers and a minimum depth of .003
    inch for all other required markings."

    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...ions-sub-c.pdf

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You can put your markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel when making an SBR. Only the serial number must be on the frame or receiver, and only the serial number is required to be 1/16th high.

    "...legibly identify each firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the frame or receiver an individual serial number."

    "...conspicuously place the following identification markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel...
    3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer;
    4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State..."
    His question was about an ACR. It's OK to engrave SBR mfgr data on a polymer receiver?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    GP Oregon
    Posts
    1,998
    Feedback Score
    0
    "...in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed."

    Markings on plastic would not meet the above definition.

    Also the receiver/frame of the ACR is the upper and the markings need to be on the receiver/frame or barrel.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    "...in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed."

    Markings on plastic would not meet the above definition.

    Also the receiver/frame of the ACR is the upper and the markings need to be on the receiver/frame or barrel.
    Right. My thinking was, engrave the upper receiver (where the serial number is) because the lower is polymer and the barrel is (will be, someday, theoretically) interchangeable.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Barre, VT
    Posts
    4,737
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklabel66 View Post
    I'm curious about what you would with a gun like the ACR with a polymer lower, is it possible to engrave it? If not how would you register one as an SBR? I don't have one i'm just curious.
    You can engrave the bbl or upper.
    For those who fought for it. Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,551
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Can you engrave on the "front" (skinny part) of the magwell?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Can you engrave on the "front" (skinny part) of the magwell?
    Usual locations on an AR15 are right side of magwell, left side of magwell, front of magwell, or inside the trigger guard as suggested by this page at Orion Arms. They do an excellent job of engraving.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,551
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Usual locations on an AR15 are right side of magwell, left side of magwell, front of magwell, or inside the trigger guard as suggested by this page at Orion Arms. They do an excellent job of engraving.

    Thank you.

    How much do they charge? And what's the usual turnaround time?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Barre, VT
    Posts
    4,737
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    You'll get your best info clicking on the link and surfing their site. They have great info and you can shoot them an email question. They've gotten back to me quickly with questions.
    For those who fought for it. Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    2,182
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Orion Arms did good work for me when engraving the front of the mag well on my SBR. Turn around was pretty quick, maybe a week.

    I'll have my next engraved locally by an FFL.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,741
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Thank you.

    How much do they charge? And what's the usual turnaround time?
    Orion quoted me $65 plus $14 return shipping (insured) - plus I would have had to pay them 6.75% sales tax. This was for engraving in the trigger guard. The other locations are a little cheaper IIRC.

    I ended up having that particular rifle engraved at Ident Marking - they quoted me $45 + $12 shipping for the same work. They did an excellent job. Turnaround time at Ident was about 10 days.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-02-11 at 19:59.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    out of reach
    Posts
    317
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Thank you.

    How much do they charge? And what's the usual turnaround time?
    I used Harford, http://www.harengser.com/firearms-engraving.htm and it was 60 total and that included adding caliber since my lower was a "multi". I might have not needed the caliber but my BCM barrel labeling is under the LaRue rail and certainly not easily accessible. I shipped it on the 17th, got it back on the 24th.
    Peace, Jerry

    I don't drink the koolaid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •