Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide: Gemtech Halo or Surefire Micro/Mini

Feedback Score

Trying to decide: Gemtech Halo or Surefire Micro/Mini

I'm trying to make a final decision between a Gemtech Halo or a Surefire Micro/Mini.

I like how the Halo works with A2 or Vortex FHs, and it's about half the price of the Surefires.

However, I like the smaller size of the Surefires (4" for Micro and 5" for Mini), and I also read the following about how they supposedly improve accuracy:

SureFire’s proprietary suppressor design not only reduces the sound levels and muzzle flash of a fired weapon, helping to protect an operator’s hearing and keep his location concealed, it also typically increases projectile velocity and improves a weapon’s accuracy. This is SureFire’s philosophy of Total Signature Reduction™. Contrary to existing suppressor models, which typically degrade performance of a 1-2 MOA (Minute of Angle) rifle to 3-4 MOA-sometimes as much as 8 MOA, SureFire suppressors typically improve grouping sizes. At 4.0 inches long and 12.0 ounces in weight, the compact and lightweight SureFire MICRO suppressor is designed to attenuate the sound signature of a carbine or rifle to a safe level, as well as reduce the dust and flash signature while minimizing added weight and length to host weapon with a 14.5″ barrel or longer.

I'll be using it on my 16" carbine 50% of the time, so I wanted something that won't add much length and won't affect accuracy (I'm not as concerned about noise reduction, as it's a 5.56 not a 300 Whisper).

It sounds like a Surefire is the best option, but a Halo for half the price + compatibility with a Vortex is keeping me from closing the deal on a Surefire. Has anyone else been in the same position, or purchased a Surefire Micro/Mini (or a Gemtech Halo) and regretted it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally prefer the surefires, but that is just my preference. I believe the halos are a bit heavier and get really hot faster. Somebody correct me if Im wrong on this.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    While were on the subject does anyone know how much AOL is added with the HALO?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The HALO is an awesome can for the money. Built like a tank and as you mentioned will affix to any standard 5.56 NATO flash hider. I bought mine during a promotion for $300 so it was a no brainer. It is a bit on the heavy side. I run mine on an 11.5" upper so it's less noticeable then it would be on your 16". If money was no object then I would probably get one of the micro/mini cans, although I'm not specifically endorsing the SF. I'm looking at a micro/mini can anyway actually. On a 5.56 AR the round will always (for all practical purposes) be supersonic so the db reduction is less important on this platform. To me, anything that can maintain less than 140db is acceptable.

You need to put these in order:
    Price
    Effectiveness (db reduction)
    OAL added
    Weight
    Cost of mounts

If you are a member at Titsworth's site you can review his recent mini/micro 5.56 supressor review for other options.
    http://www.silencerresearch.com/Prem..._silencers.htm

To ME the SF is not worth the added cost, but it might be to you. I also do not buy the SF bit about improving accuracy, but I have nothing scientific to dispute or confirm it.
    Last edited by aquajon; 03-03-11 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Gem-Tech Halo or Surefire Micro/Mini...

Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    While were on the subject does anyone know how much AOL is added with the HALO?

OAL of the HALO is 7.2" according to Gem-Tech. I own one and the OAL added to the weapon when mounted would roughly be 1.2" less as the swallow on the can goes down to the base of a standard A2 flash suppressor...so, that is roughly 6" added to the weapon.

I would recommend a Surefire Micro or Mini as the HALO is kinda heavy. I normally run it on my Colt LE6920 16" Carbine and it makes it really front heavy. I would like the reduced length and weight of the Surefire if used primarly on a 16" carbine. I also run the HALO on my Noveske SBR (10.5" upper) and obvisouly the barrel length trade-off offsets the weight issue that is encounterd on a carbine of a longer length.

As for the Gem-Tech HALO heating up faster than the Surefire's I cannot attest to this as I don't own a Surefire suppressor. The Gem-Tech is an excellent suppressor and cheaper than the Surefire but the length is a big turn off for me and I find myself rarely using on my AR's and more on my bolt gun due to the way it balances.
    "Of every One Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them...They make the battle, Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...and He will bring the others back."-Heraclitus (circa 500 B.C.)

Feedback Score
    IMO, you are kind of comparing apples and oranges. The Halo is a totally different animal than the SF Micro/Mini.

You should probably first decide if you want a full size can or a "small" can. To decide that, you should be thinking about weight and sound reduction.

Once you have that down, I think both of your options are good choices in their respective categories. The Halo is not a top of the line 5.56 can, but is respectable and uses a very convieniant mounting system. The SF's probably rule the roost for mini cans, but are pricy.

For overall 5.56 use, I think the AAC M4-2000 is a great combination of size, weight, price, and sound suppression. I do own one, though. So, I could just be biased...

Feedback Score
    ANY quality can will improve group size and will have minimal/repeatable shift.

Have you heard any of these shot?

The MINIs are loud like any compact can and the Halo is loud for a full-size can. If you go Halo, make sure you mount it and check it for concentricity on your barrel(s)... A2 hiders are notoriously cheap and can vary widely in their specs. You'll be a bit safer going with a vortex, or evven better, one of the new battlecomp mounts... of course, then you are into expensive adaptors, and you might as well open up your search to every manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Size and minimal POI shift are the most important factors for me, since the 5.56 is supersonic anyways, and I intend on using the suppressor 50% on / 50% off on 14.5" (16" OAL with FHs) barrels.

Although I like the price of the Halo and the fact that it mounts on a Smith Vortex, I'm probably going to go with a SureFire because of it's size.

Feedback Score
    As long as you understand the limitations of the suppressors I would go with the mini on a longer barrel.
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    If I hadn't just purchased a SPR/M4, I would be looking at the HALO and a Battle Comp 2.0 as the mounting point. Best of most worlds except weight IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast