Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What has to be engraved on your SBR?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What has to be engraved on your SBR?

Pappabear
    NFA Revocable Trust
    Tempe AZ

Is this correct (given my correct full name)

If I have this Laser Engraved, what is the best way to refinish it? Any thoughts or feedback.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Pappabear
    NFA Revocable Trust
    Tempe AZ

Is this correct (given my correct full name)

If I have this Laser Engraved, what is the best way to refinish it? Any thoughts or feedback.
    If the SBR is being registered by the trust, there is no need to engrave your name.

Just the name of the trust and city/state.

As for the refinish, use Alumablack or a black sharpie.
    Last edited by khc3; 01-13-11 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Id like to keep it short but it is the Pappabear NFA Rev. Trust. Kinda sucks its so long but WTF, Ill just get it done.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Consumer-grade laser engraving services generally do not meet the ATF's depth/size requirement, so I would entrust this to a company with experience in NFA engraving.

AC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm curious about what you would with a gun like the ACR with a polymer lower, is it possible to engrave it? If not how would you register one as an SBR? I don't have one i'm just curious.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The serial number is on the upper of an ACR. I'd engrave the upper.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Consumer-grade laser engraving services generally do not meet the ATF's depth/size requirement, so I would entrust this to a company with experience in NFA engraving.

AC
    Army Chief, what are the size / depth requirments?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ident Marking and Orion Arms both come to mind as very experienced firearms engravers. Both are 07/02 FFL, so can legally possess your SBR receiver in the event you decide to send it for engraving after it's registered (unlike the local trophy shop, where you'd have to have it done while you wait). They specialize in BATF-legal engraving (.003" deep and 1/16th inch high minimum) and blacken the lettering afterward.

http://www.orion-arms.com/

http://www.identmarking.com/index.html
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-13-11 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can put your markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel when making an SBR. Only the serial number must be on the frame or receiver, and only the serial number is required to be 1/16th high.

"...legibly identify each firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the frame or receiver an individual serial number."

"...conspicuously place the following identification markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel...
    3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer;
    4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State..."

"...minimum height of 1/16th inch and a minimum depth of .003 inch for serial numbers and a minimum depth of .003
    inch for all other required markings."

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...ions-sub-c.pdf

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You can put your markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel when making an SBR. Only the serial number must be on the frame or receiver, and only the serial number is required to be 1/16th high.

"...legibly identify each firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the frame or receiver an individual serial number."

"...conspicuously place the following identification markings on the frame, receiver, or barrel...
    3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer;
    4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State..."
    His question was about an ACR. It's OK to engrave SBR mfgr data on a polymer receiver?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast