Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What has to be engraved on your SBR?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "...in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed."

Markings on plastic would not meet the above definition.

Also the receiver/frame of the ACR is the upper and the markings need to be on the receiver/frame or barrel.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    "...in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed."

Markings on plastic would not meet the above definition.

Also the receiver/frame of the ACR is the upper and the markings need to be on the receiver/frame or barrel.
    Right. My thinking was, engrave the upper receiver (where the serial number is) because the lower is polymer and the barrel is (will be, someday, theoretically) interchangeable.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklabel66 View Post
    I'm curious about what you would with a gun like the ACR with a polymer lower, is it possible to engrave it? If not how would you register one as an SBR? I don't have one i'm just curious.
    You can engrave the bbl or upper.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Can you engrave on the "front" (skinny part) of the magwell?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Can you engrave on the "front" (skinny part) of the magwell?
    Usual locations on an AR15 are right side of magwell, left side of magwell, front of magwell, or inside the trigger guard as suggested by this page at Orion Arms. They do an excellent job of engraving.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Usual locations on an AR15 are right side of magwell, left side of magwell, front of magwell, or inside the trigger guard as suggested by this page at Orion Arms. They do an excellent job of engraving.

Thank you.

How much do they charge? And what's the usual turnaround time?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You'll get your best info clicking on the link and surfing their site. They have great info and you can shoot them an email question. They've gotten back to me quickly with questions.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Orion Arms did good work for me when engraving the front of the mag well on my SBR. Turn around was pretty quick, maybe a week.

I'll have my next engraved locally by an FFL.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you.

Orion quoted me $65 plus $14 return shipping (insured) - plus I would have had to pay them 6.75% sales tax. This was for engraving in the trigger guard. The other locations are a little cheaper IIRC.

I ended up having that particular rifle engraved at Ident Marking - they quoted me $45 + $12 shipping for the same work. They did an excellent job. Turnaround time at Ident was about 10 days.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-02-11 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

I used Harford, http://www.harengser.com/firearms-engraving.htm and it was 60 total and that included adding caliber since my lower was a "multi". I might have not needed the caliber but my BCM barrel labeling is under the LaRue rail and certainly not easily accessible. I shipped it on the 17th, got it back on the 24th.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast