Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P9HST2 vs P9HST4

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    iirc, the ATK rep said the bullet was tweaked a little bit in the last year or two, maybe that would explain it being better in the shoots I've seen. I'll see him at SHOT and ask him.
    Unless Federal bonded the jacket to the lead core, and then rounded out the nose to make it beefier like they did with their bonded 135gr+P, "tweaking" won't make much difference in its performance against windshields. Their 135gr+P bonded was designed specifically to tackle windhshields. It's harder to make, which is why it is more expensive.

Winchester's 147gr Ranger Talon does better in the windshield tests than the HST. Probably because the jacket is thick around the nose, and it is wrapped deeply into the nose cavity so that the construction is tougher.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck556 View Post

The ATK rep that I recently emailed said that the two 147gr projectiles were not the same.
    Would that be the same “rep” who claimed that Federal XM9HA, loaded with the 147 grain HST projectile, has a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=xm9ha

Tell me, which two bullets pictured below were pulled from P9HST2 and which two bullets were pulled from P9HST4?

I’ve chronographed multiple lots of both P9HST2 and P9HST4 from a Glock 19 with a 4” barrel. On average, the P9HST4 runs approximately 20 fps faster than the P9HST2 when fired from the Glock 19. BFD.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    We have scheduled P9HST3 and P9HST4 for testing this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Unless Federal bonded the jacket to the lead core, and then rounded out the nose to make it beefier like they did with their bonded 135gr+P, "tweaking" won't make much difference in its performance against windshields.
    Well, I don't know if that's completely fair to say, since the HST and the SXT both do better on glass than some other conventional hollow points. Clearly there have been improvements made in conventional non-bonded ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Winchester's 147gr Ranger Talon does better in the windshield tests than the HST. Probably because the jacket is thick around the nose, and it is wrapped deeply into the nose cavity so that the construction is tougher.
    Hmmm.... in every shoot I've seen, the 9 147 SXT had complete jacket core separation. When it does penetrate better, it's the core doing so, and the retained weight is substantially reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Would that be the same “rep” who claimed that Federal XM9HA, loaded with the 147 grain HST projectile, has a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps?
    Don't know. Which "rep" said that?

It was Bernie Ness, their federal government rep, that I recall saying the HST had been tweaked since it's introduction. I should have said that before, as I usually ignore claimed statements made by factory "reps" that aren't identified. I'll see him this week at SHOT, so I'll ask and see if my memory is correct. If I'm wrong, I'll amend my post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you for sharing those results Mo. Info like that is good to know.

I'll take a shot and say bullets one and three are from the +P rounds.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    I would not be hesitant to carry any of the 9mm HST rounds. FWIW, the P9HST1 and P9HST3 are the most readily available HSTvarieties in my area.
    Just found the P9HST1 here in town this weekend for $25 per 50. Not much else on the shelves for carry ammo.

Feedback Score
    Im subscribing to this thread as I'm curious. I have been satisfied with the 124+P rounds but I'm open to learning more about the 147.
    Philippians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falz24 View Post
    P9HST2 is 147gr Federal HST

P9HST4 is 147gr +P Federal HST

Which one would you choose? Why?
    P9HST2... because it is good enough, and who needs the added recoil of the +P...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast