Thread: M1A (1992) barrel markings

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Question M1A (1992) barrel markings

I have a question about the bbl markings on older M1As. I recently aquired a used M1A (basic model w/black synthetic stock) serial # 71,040'ish' range, green & white box, made in 1992 . The bbl is marked "308", there is an engraved star, and there are 3 or 4letters; a "R" followed by what looks like a "T" then an "E" or "LF". Please can anyone provide some insight ? I cant post pics yet, but will try later. Thanks for any info. I tried to look this up but no luck. Thanks. Dan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Odd, all the standard M1As I have seen from that date have GI barrels. Could it have been re-barreled?
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Try to PM Different, he is an M14/M1A guru. Also check out www.m14tfl.com/ for all sorts of M14/M1A goodness.

You can also call or email SA customer service and if they would know if it's the original barrell or not.
    Last edited by ap1220; 01-14-11 at 19:30.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This information is here for anyone else wanting to know what the markings are on the M1A rifle. I received the answer from Lee (aka. Different) and he is the M1A guru. Lee is a good guy, he answered my questions and helped me out alot with this, I cant say thanks enough (Thank you Lee). Here is a copy of the email reply he sent me.

"Dan,

Okay, that helps a lot. The barrel is a USGI Harrington & Richardson Arms chromium plated M14 barrel manufactured in October 1962. The stamping "R T E" was used by the U. S. Marine Corps Rifle Shooting Team. "R T E" means Rifle Team Equipment. So, this barrel was likely on a M14 rifle in the inventory of the U. S. Marine Corps at some point between 1962 and 1996. The bolt is USGI TRW.

Lee"