Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something sliding back and forth in the buffer tube?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Something sliding back and forth in the buffer tube?

I've got a question about an new to me, DPMS, 6.8mm model #M-150. I noticed that the FSB is canted a little to the left. I'm going to try and remedy the problem but have to wait until I can get a fixture with which to hold the receiver in a vise. Until then, I've got the upper and lower separated. I've noticed that when I raise and lower the forward end of the lower assembly, with the stock removed, I can hear and feel something sliding in the buffer tube. Is that a normal sound? I had originally thought that the rattling that I was hearing was coming from the stock only. There is spring tension when I push on the end of the buffer.
    This is my first AR type rifle. Please excuse my ignorance of the subject. Tried a search but didn't really find the answer that I was looking for.
    Thanks for any help, crispy

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Have you taken the buffer out to see if there's any debris in there that might be causing the sound in question?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably the weights inside the buffer moving around a tiny bit. It's normal--in fact, it's intended. Nothing to worry about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On the lower receiver, there's a pin that holds the buffer and spring assembly in place. Push that pin down and the buffer will go forward and you can pull it out and inspect/clean/wipedown. For assembly, just put the buffer on the spring and push it back into the receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Have you taken the buffer out to see if there's any debris in there that might be causing the sound in question?
    Hi Steve
    No, I haven't removed the buffer tube yet. If I found out that the sound was normal I was just going to leave it be. If not normal, I wanted to wait until I got the fixture block. Kind of want to preserve the "like new" condition of the rifle. (I'm little anal when it comes to stuff like that)....lol! What I'm hearing, sounds bigger than just debris though.

Thanks, crispy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    On the lower receiver, there's a pin that holds the buffer and spring assembly in place. Push that pin down and the buffer will go forward and you can pull it out and inspect/clean/wipedown. For assembly, just put the buffer on the spring and push it back into the receiver extension.

Great! I didn't know that the pin could be depressed. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Probably the weights inside the buffer moving around a tiny bit. It's normal--in fact, it's intended. Nothing to worry about.
    I was afraid that someone would say that. It's going to drive me nuts. How do sneak up on something with a rattly gun? lol!

crispy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If that DPMS didn't come with a manual of some sorts I suggust that you get over to Amazon.com and order the following,

Army Technical Manual (for M16 rifle) - TM9-1005-249-23P

Army User's Manual (for M16 rifle) - TM9-1005-249-10

USMC Basic Marksmanship Manual

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    If that DPMS didn't come with a manual of some sorts I suggust that you get over to Amazon.com and order the following,

Army Technical Manual (for M16 rifle) - TM9-1005-249-23P

Army User's Manual (for M16 rifle) - TM9-1005-249-10

USMC Basic Marksmanship Manual
    Thanks.....I will.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    It is the weights inside of the buffer. Thanks
    Last edited by crispy; 01-17-11 at 15:26.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast