Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Help on carry handle identification

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Help on carry handle identification

    I searched everywhere and could not find an answer to my question.Can anybody tell me if either of these carry handles are made by Colt? I bought them separately but was told they were Colt by the sellers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    631
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    More pics of the other side please.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    631
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The upper carry handle is made by Cardinal Forge or at least the forging was. They do make them for Colt and LMT along with others.

    The lower carry handle is unknown. Hoped this helped.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    20,174
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Indeed. You can find the same forge mark on carry handles from Colt and NON-Colt guns.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    902
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Colts' forge mark is a square, correct?



    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Indeed. You can find the same forge mark on carry handles from Colt and NON-Colt guns.
    Can you explain this a little further? I'm having a retard moment on my end.
    Infantrymen don't die, they go to hell and regroup.

    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    20,174
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah. That square comes on SOME Colt carry handles. But I've got a BCM that also has that square on it.

    The square is only the forging mark. It doesn't tell you who finish machined the part or what quality of hardware they put in the carry handle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NorthWest USA
    Posts
    697
    Feedback Score
    0
    The CH in the very first photo with the Splintered A on the left side is Anchor Harvey. The second one with the cardinal head on the right is Cardinal Forge. The third CH with the square mark on the right side is Brass Aluminum Forging.

    As was said Colt has used all of these forges but so have other manufacturers. Anyway they look to be milspec height and of good quality so could be off a Colt. No way to prove they came off a Colt but if you were told that from a good source it's certainly likely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    0
    The marks will tell you who forged the blanks but not who makes the handles.

    Supposedly Colt specs the height from the bottom of the carry handle to the top of the shelf that the rear sight rests on to .840".

    Supposedly many makers have this dimension at .800".

    I remember seeing scottryan and another member post this in an M4c thread with the same question.
    Last edited by glen; 01-22-11 at 05:47. Reason: clarity

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    902
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. That square comes on SOME Colt carry handles. But I've got a BCM that also has that square on it.

    The square is only the forging mark. It doesn't tell you who finish machined the part or what quality of hardware they put in the carry handle.
    Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    The CH in the very first photo with the Splintered A on the left side is Anchor Harvey. The second one with the cardinal head on the right is Cardinal Forge. The third CH with the square mark on the right side is Brass Aluminum Forging.

    As was said Colt has used all of these forges but so have other manufacturers. Anyway they look to be milspec height and of good quality so could be off a Colt. No way to prove they came off a Colt but if you were told that from a good source it's certainly likely.
    The third one is off a Colt 6920.

    So basically what we're saying here is that other companies forge carry handles for Colt? So even though my carry handle came off a 6920, it could've been forged by a different company using Colts' TDP?
    Infantrymen don't die, they go to hell and regroup.

    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    20,174
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBears_85 View Post
    So basically what we're saying here is that other companies forge carry handles for Colt? So even though my carry handle came off a 6920, it could've been forged by a different company using Colts' TDP?
    Yes. There are a few different variants on Colts. I don't know who, what, and when.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    296
    Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    the square forge mark is on my daniel defense as well
    Last edited by fivefivesix; 01-27-11 at 20:34.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •